Broke another one today

Drew_CarreyAB

Well two different rifles two broken scopes......The first rifle was/is a muzzleloader and I somehow was able to screw the power ring up on it LOL they sent me a brand new one under warranty, the second is from my new .300WM I've put like 120 rounds through it and I was at the range today doing load development. Shooting away not noticing anything funky/screwy and I load my 5th to last round and look through the scope and FUBAR'D one of the horizontal wires was broken off and there was shards of glass rattling inside the tube OMG!!!!! I brought it home, unsaddled it from the rifle and found that the rings had loosened off of the scope itself( can't imagine how with thread locker on the screws....I use weaver bases, ugly but strong and dependable IMHO) so anyways, the peice where the turrets are was apparently hitting the rear base during recoil (that's where I figure the glass came from) So I hope they send me a new one. The brand of scope is Bushnell...One was a Banner Dusk & Dawn 3x9x40 with a circle X recticle and the other one (.300WM) was also a bushnell 3x9x40 but it had a TRG recticle. I like the bushnells, they have served me well, but I think I'll need to upgrade my selection. What brands of optics would you choose if you were on a limited budget and had $4-$500 to spend? I'd like to try a Sheppard scope but I think I'd have to tack on about $800-$1000 to the $500 I've got. Thanks in advance.

Buy a Leupold VXII OR VXIII.Mount with Locktite on screws put friction paper inside of rings tighten really tight to compress paper,won't slip now.If you use dual dove tail rings even better.I have mounted hundreds of scopes this way never had one slip yet, even on 338/378 Wetherby's and 416 Rigby's. Cheap low end scopes are not a good investement.Only a rich man can afford them because he can buy lots of them.
Old bear

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.