broadhead reviews

Im actually the only person I know to have any problem with them. They always worked great before, and thousands of people use them with success. I may of gotten the one in a million bad batch. Thank god my mishap happened on an old smelly boar hog and not on a Booner deer.

No doubt! That's a great way to look at it. I've never heard of issues either, but I like hearing your experience - everything has its weakness and if it happens once it can happen again. Always looking for faster, stronger, better
!

I'm a guide for the last 20 years and have seen lots of diff broad heads I hate and get the chills when a hunter comes in with a non cut on contact head I am a true believer in the cutting on contact no matter what brand it is

Had a couple of hunters using Toxic's, I was a bit skeptical but one took a bear, a muley, and an elk, none traveled more than 13 yards.......

QAD Exodus 100gr. I think it's one of the best heads on the market.

Here's the head's effects on a 9pt buck:
Entrance:

Exit:

I wonder why it's not more popular.... razor sharp, flies very well from my bow at 322 FPS and I killed three deer with the exact same head with no sharpening in between last year.

Regards,
Rog

I'll shoot Rage 3 blade all day long. Massive holes and blood trails! looks like a red carpet! alot of people say that rage are junk but i have yet to see that. I've shot probably 6 deer or so with this broadhead and wont shoot anything else. Blades always deploy fully and no penetration issues. I shot a buck a couple of weeks ago at 45 yards with 64 lbs of pull with a 28 in draw and gold tip pro hunter arrows topped with a lumenok..... complete pass through.

I switched to grim reaper mechanical broad heads last season. I took a small bull at 35 yrds near the end of the season. He didn't go more than 20 yards before laying down. Though while I was butchering I was less than impressed with the damage. The arrow placement was good. The arrow nicked a rib and traveled back and did not exit. One of the three blades broke and another didn't open. It might have been that after carrying that arrow around all season i had gummed up the bh with some dirt.

I am not sure what I am going to do next season. I really like the way the expandables fly. I am just a little leery of the mechanics.

I've spent many hunts going back and forth between muzzy 100 grain 3 blade and rage mech. 100 grain 2 blade. First deer I Shot with a rage was a double lung and massive blood trail that took next to no effort to follow but still not a completely clean pass as she broke my arrow. The next two rages I shot I lost. One I know was a poor shot I found the arrow with guts and blood, but I still had a blood trail for about 15 yards.. Second deer I shot with a rage was a lung/ heart semi pass through that fell out about 15 yards away (all dark
Blood no guts) the blood trail was spotty at best but able to track for about 50-60 yrds then nothing. Unfortunately I never recovered either so I decided to switch it up.

Picked up a pack of muzzy 3 blade 100 grain and am 2/2 so far with them. I'm not sure if it has to do with the smaller diameter (I think I had 2 1/2 or 3/4 rage vs 1 1/4 muzzy) or it means nothing at all but both muzzy deer ran significantly further before dying.. Which I kind of like because it's such a rush never knowing when you get to claim victory.. But the blood trails on both were amazing. Compared to my first rage, I had a better trail on both deer with the muzzy. Both were semi pass throughs that fell out about 20 or 30 yrds away. The buck I shot with the muzzy was quartering away when I took the shot and the muzzy sliced a gash probably a foot and a half long staring from the base of the rib and up to the shoulder. Easily punched through both sides of the rib cage. I'd say after the shot the probably ran 100 and 200ydss but like I said, easy trail.

I now prefer fixed blade. I think that it delivers a little more punch on impact and clearly leaves a bloody mess. This year I purchased muzzy again and I will stay with them until I start loosing deer. As for your other question about fixed blades not deploying, I've heard arguments for both sides and I don't know maybe that has something to do with the two I lost but my bow is about 285-295fps

Been out quite a bit this year elk hunting. We are not allowed to use mechanical heads here. I still use the G5 3 blade and have several friends/business acquaintances all using similar stuff. Everyone seems to be having very good results as long as the bow is tuned and the head is good, they shoot exactly the same as field points. In fact, I had a serving issue and had to have my string redone. Last night I zereod 20, 30, and 40 yards with my field points and then went to my G5's. They were dead on. I will zero 50 and 60 this weekend and head back to camp on Monday.

I have used several different broad heads over the last 45 years of bow hunting.
Just harvested my 208th deer by bow. Currently I am using Montec G5 sharpened on diamond lap until they shave on all three blades. Taken two already this year and non have gone more than 70 yds.
Nat Lambeth

For those of you who like the montecs, check out VPA broadheads. Same style of head, only they are machined out of one piece of metal, making them stronger, and I found them easier to sharpen as well. I had good luck with them in the past.

This year I switched to Grave Diggers which are a hybrid head that is a 2 blade cut on contact head that then has 2 blades that open inside the animal. I had great luck with them watching 3 deer fall over with huge blood trails. Going out the next 2 weeks to see if I can put a buck down.

Ive shot fixed blades for 35+ years.I have used the same arrow on many hunts to harvest up to 6 animals before arrow was broken.Look into Phat heads they have I believe the thickest blade,fly real well,very tough with a small built in bleeder.Ive taken up to 1000 # game with 2 blade.

I've been using Slick Trick Magnum and have had great success with them but they don't make a 125gr in deep six so I'm going to try a new (Solid broad head) I've shot them and they are just as accurate as the ST, bow has to be tuned properly for grouping with field points.

ST magnum top

Solid 125gr with 1/2 bleeder bottom

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have shot all kinds of broadheads fixed and mechanical. What I have found is this first and foremost your bow must be tuned for either to fly properly. My 2 favorites are for a fixed blade the Slick Trick and in a mechanical the Rage 2 blade.
As for faster bows needing to shoot fixed blades that is crap the faster the bow the more energy you will have. The thought was mechanicals use to much energy opening. With that thought a fast bow is what you want. There are too many thoughts out there that no one has really sat down and thought over. A good quality broadhead will get the job done if you do your part. If you insist on buying the cheapest product it will come back to bite you.
All this being said it is a personal preference or in some cases a law or rule. The main thig is shoot a quality product and practice practice practice your skills and your results will be what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.