Brittanys First Deer

tjbill

Hey everyone! Newbie to this sight and have found tons of great info. Thank you all for your expertise! Anyways, my sixteen year old daughter got her first deer!!! It was definitely a family affair with her grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, sister, and dad along to guide her (she had the only tag). We ventured about 4 hours drive north of Las Vegas and arrived in the early morning hours. In the first hour of daylight we saw several bucks, but either very small or too far for her to comfortably shoot. At about 9am we put an hour long stalk on a big forked horn bedded at the bottom of some rock cliffs at about 8500 feet. She shot just over him at 152 yards slightly uphill. He was actually sleeping when she shot. He jumped out of his bed and flew over the ridge. We made the long trek back to the truck and regrouped with a little siesta and lunch. The rest of the afternoon was spent glassing basins and spotting lots of deer but no nice bucks. With about 40 minutes of light left we spotted several deer in a flat off the road. We glassed the herd and spotted a nice buck 182 yards away. Brittany got a nice rest across the hood of the truck and touched off one shot through both lungs with the 270. The buck humped up and ran a tight little ten yard circle and piled up. Not an extremely long shot, but not bad for your first deer and not a bad first buck. The best part was that she got her first deer with her dad guiding her and plenty of family around to witness the experience. I'm sure this hunting trip is the first of many.

CIMG0630.jpg

CIMG0632.jpg

Brittany & family

Like your cartridge and your deer.

It sure beat mine this year.

Tag soup again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That is a great story, congratulations to Brittany and to her whole family! Really nice to see that much support and sharing. That is what family is all about. Bet they all enjoyed the day and also will share a meal or two from that mulie. With that kind of start we can be confident she has a positive attitude towards hunting and firearms. Thanks for sharing with us, sure is a nice way to read about a youngster.

tjbill,

Congratulations to Brittany and you on a successful hunt.
The look on Brittany's face says it all. Way to go!

JD338

Congratulations to Brittany & family. A job well done, great support and great shot!

Thanks all for the response! We had a great time and Brittany did a great job! I've killed a lot of deer (my first was a tiny little blacktail in Washington when I was ten), but my favorite hunts have been guiding my Dad to a NV 4 point and now my daughter to her first buck. I've taken a few bucks in the 400 - 600 yard range, but not with the precision and execution that I've seen on this site! I look forward to learning a lot and taking more animals at longer range and with more confidence. What a great site with good, respectful people!! Have a great weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts