Bringing in a scope to SA

Brno308

My son who lives in NY is coming to visit us at the end of March (can't wait haven't seen him in 9 years) I have asked him to purchase me a Nikon Monarch scope and to bring it with. Has anybody followed this route before? Would there be problems with US or SA customs etc. etc. Your advise/recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't believe there would be any ITAR restrictions on a Monarch scope. However, customs would probably make him pay at least sales tax on it bringing it in. I had to pay sales tax on all the gifts I brought for my family members last time I visited (2008). At the time I was not even a green card holder, just a straight south african citizen with a SA passport. So I guess they treated me like someone who had gone on a vacation, bought something and was returning.

If he is a US citizen, he might be alright.

Thanks westcliffe01. I should perhaps have worded my question different. For the record I have no intention of doing anything illegal, hence my "open" question, simply seeking advise.

It probably won't even be noticed by RSA customs.

Some scopes are restricted from export from the U.S.A.; I don't know if the Nikon Monarch is one of them. That said, U. S. Customs won't keep you from taking it out of the country and won't know if you don't bring it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.