Bring back the 5mm Rem!?

Railroader82

I just want to hear the views of my fellow long range shooters on this rimfire. Was it ahead of its time? If we're to be chambered by CZ, Savage, Browning, and etc., would it survive the the 17 craze?

I've got the tube feed model. I've shot them since they first came out. I've always had better luck (accurate and energy at distance) with them than a 22 mag. This new ammo doesn't seem to be up to the remington we had in the beginning. I do believe if we had the same ammo options as the 17 it could compete, but probably not for sales. Just my 2 cents.

I just wish they would chamber a model or two so people like myself who have read about them could try it out ourselves. I would love to have a mag fed version! I figured they would out perform the trusty magnum in distance. It seemed like they were gonna reintroduce it a couple years ago but nothing happened. I believe Taurus had even chambered a revolver in the 5mm. Supposedly, CZ and Savage were going to chamber a rifle. Sounds like that got washed out. Sadly.

I converted a CZ Scout (Model 452) into a 5mm rimfire and get great results from it. Problem is, the cost to convert it does not justify creating a great shooting, single-shot rifle.

I also have a Contender carbine (23" barrel) and a couple of 591's that do well with the Centurion ammunition.

I have high hopes for the new Savage B.MAG and a possible conversion that may allow use of the magazine.

Eric :cool:

I asked RUGER if they might chamber a few M77/22s for it. Answer was NO. I think one of their existing magazines would readily convert to it.

I asked HORNADY if a .20 Hornet might not be a bad idea. They agreed that it would be neat, but said they are too busy turning out what they already have.

BTW, Hornady said that their .17 Hornet is a combination of the .17 K-Hornet and the .17 Ackley Hornet.

I believe the Remington Model 591 is strong enough for a .22 Hornet and it would be the right size for it, too.

I had the tube feed as well. I sold it a long time ago. I saw some ammo at a gun show a couple of years ago at 60-70 bucks a box. It is a cool round.

I would love to have one of these little rimfires. However, I did buy the new 17WSM. It is really awesome! Sadly with this new 3000 fps rimfire, the likelihood of them bringing back the 5mm is near 0. The only way we get a 5mm is if they revamp it on the new 17 WSM case. Anyway, that's my prediction.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts