Breaks???

Iowaboy

Hey Guys,

I have a new 7mm McGowen barrel that I'm putting on a savage action. Was thinking about haveing a break put on the gun so I can maybe spot my shots a little better.

Would it be easier to have the break installed before or after I put the barrel on the gun?

Thanks,
Matt

Always install a brake with the barrel removed from the receiver when ever possible.

This allows the machinist guy to support the barrel between centers or to indicate the bore at each end of the barrel. (better IMO)

The end result is to ensure the brake is installed parallel/concentric to the bore theoretical center line.

Good luck.

C

Hey Guys,

I have a new 7mm McGowen barrel that I'm putting on a savage action. Was thinking about haveing a break put on the gun so I can maybe spot my shots a little better.

Would it be easier to have the break installed before or after I put the barrel on the gun?

Thanks,
Matt

Depends on the type of brake you want installed.

If the brake has radially space openings then timing of the brake is not needed and the barrel doesn't need to be installed prior to installing a brake.

If you will be using a baffled type brake that needs to be indexed then you'll need to install the barrel. Make sure your headspace is set accurately. Mark the top of the barrel so that the brake can be properly indexed.

As Chad said, the barrel should be removed for the actual installation of the brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts