Breaking in a barrel

britz

I am trying to break in a barrel in my Tikka. I was using Jb Bore conditioner and a standard Klean bore solvent/conditioner to get the Jb out. I fired one round and cleaned, fired one round and cleaned...for a total of 12 rounds before I realized that I wasn't getting all the copper out. I am now using Hoppes number 9 and I have cleaned it several times and am still getting a little copper out each time, but I see no end in sight (I still have not fired it since the origional 12 rounds). Here are my questions, Is this a good solvent? Am I correct in thinking that the copper will be out when I shine a light at the muzzle and don't see any and when the patches don't get dirty any more? Can I re-break in the barrel (has this first 12 rounds w/o perfect cleaning hurt this rifle? Can you break in a 30-06 rifle that has had possibly 2000 rounds fired through it w/o an excellent job of cleaning before?
I appreciate your advice.
Britz

Bore Tec eliminator? or sweets 7.62,Barnes CR10.All will get the copper out.Use a steel cored nylon brush as the solvent is ammonia which will eat the brush if you use a bronze brush giving false reading for copper in the barrel.

My gun smith just turned me onto some new stuff; Montana x-treme copper cleaner, used to be 50bmg cleaner I think. It is great stuff if you have LOTS of ventilation. DO NOT TAKE A WHIFF!!! I learned the hard way, thought I would need 911. (I shouldn't admit that) My smith's words were; "It wipes the @$$ of all other solvents out there!" It works great for me. Give it a try.

That's the guy! I just got my first rig back from him, 22-250 blueprinted and bored out to AI. With the wind we've had lately haven't had a chance to really try it out yet.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the string.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.