brass weight sorting

That thought did cross my mind... though in reality I don't usually use brass like that (Winchester) if I can avoid it due to the high cull ratio.

I did get 1000pcs of Lapua small primer brass this summer that has been weight sorted... a little better 'spread' there, given the sample size. Would we be better off if I took say 25 pcs from the 'light' end and 25 pcs from the 'heavy' end and then we could do an ANOVA comparison between the two batches?

(Winchester) if I can avoid it due to the high cull ratio.

There is the clue to why people do weight sorting in the first place. When a piece of brass weighs five grains more than any of the other pieces it is a indication it will give you a goofy point of impact. And that is what made me a believer in weight sorting as a first cull point.

As to the light versus heavy if you have 3-4 grains difference in weight then that should be sufficient to see a difference on a target.

1. According to MikeCR he does not FL size, yet he has posted previously that he routinely uses a fitted/honed body bump die and a NS die.
So are we really talking about just not using a (one step) FL size die and instead using a NS die and body bump die and in reality FL sizing in two steps but calling it NS'ing. That is still FL sizing in my books, only two steps.
You merely lack attention to details. Sizing, of any sort, is just that. It's moving brass to the point of yield(beyond springback). A shooter using a FL die may or may not actually size portions of a case. I use body dies to bump shoulders, and bushings to partially size necks.
With this, there is an interference fit near the web but no sizing(stays within springback). Nor do I FL size necks(as actual FL dies do). I do not FL size -EVER.

2. If the test is to use the MikeCR parameters, then 57K PSI (from QL data) is the max working limit accordingly, which is in many guns is not close to max, ergo it is easy to see why not case expansion. However, that is not the norm for big capacity cartridges and most LR hunters I am sure.
Close to WHO'S MAX? I never implied that this has anything to do with safe limits, or what shooters commonly take as a limit.
The ~57Kpsi max is MY MAX, and I am confident that you would find this as yours as well -if mindful of matching case capacities(and I don't get the impression you are).
This pressure is also completely sufficent for larger cartridges(including those popular in 1Kyd benchrest), given all the case choices & powders available today.
Don't take the context of this out of subject.

You and I both know that German Salazar has tested primers over an Oehler 43 with strain guages and shown over a 5000 PSI difference in same loads except primers as posted on his site. How do you factor 5k variance in PSI working loads in? QL does not consider primer variances in their data amongst many other things.
Pretty sure everyone knows that changing primers changes the load..
Who said anything about changing primers with capacity tests?

Plus I am confused with first measuring thickness and throwing cases out and THEN measuring H2O capacity. What is the value of throwing cases out to thickness first instead of H2O measuring capacity, IF it is the meaningful measurement claimed. If capacity is THE factor, then thickness has zero effect if capacity is the same it would seem!
Reasons that occur to me relate to the same reasons we cull any brass during preps; to reduce wasted time and barrel life. But there is also specific testing going on here, with certain parameters eliminated to isolate other affects.

BTW, the IBS 1000 yard light gun record for 10 separate matches,(different days and 5 shot groups) was 5.3 inches. That was broke this year and I do not have the new number. The heavy gun 10 match agg (10 shots) was 5.9 inches and was also. 6 match aggs for both are in the 4 inch range, which is under .5 MOA. A bunch of 2-3 inch groups were shot at the Nationals in Sept. No one here shoots 5 or 10 shot groups and quotes MOA except the few 1k and Fclass guys who have to test to those parameters.

Anyway, going to follow this and see what you find. I know what I found out years ago doing trying it.

John Hoover and his family in PA has won and broke more records by chrono'ing each piece of brass and sorting that way. I tried that too and got too much repeated variance using an Oehler 35 with 3 screens over 8 foot bars. That is way more precise than the standard run of the mill chrono but still not up to a 43's accuracy.

I and most others have found that sorting to 1 grain (WSM size case) is more than enough with neck turning.
Not understanding how any of this relates to capacity testing or results of cases matched by capacity..

Uniform neck tension is the most critical element most 1k shooters have found. We have tried sorting by pin guage measurements of the necks, etc and it still comes to FL sizing, annealing and monitoring seating pressure when seating the bullets.

If you really want to get anal, get a very good electronic scale and weigh primers. That has been tried too! :D
Maybe, maybe NOT..
I use neck tension for tuning and know that it's useful and that variance here is detrimental.
I've learned via painful process of elimination testing that primer STRIKE can be hugely significant to grouping. But I've yet to see any basis, or even discussion, for primer weight meaning anything.
And personally, I've yet to see any single parameter affect accuracy more than seating depths.

Bob,

I'll take a look and see what I have kicking around the work area tonight. I have the Lapua small primer brass, as already mentioned - the stuff at the light end has already been neck-turned and fire-formed; it wouldn't be too hard to grab some from the heavy end and process / fire-form it to give the two 'extremes'. I also have some Winchester cases - these are the culls (by case wall-runout and neck wall thickness variance) from a batch of over 1200 - some of the most gawd-awful brass I've ever had the displeasure of sorting - undersized, some not fully formed, heavily dented mouths, you name it. Still shot fine though, even it was a lot of work.

Monte

^^^ has to take the cake as one of the more useless posts of the thread... :rolleyes:

Anywho... went and pulled 50 virgin untouched i.e. still mangled as delivered from Winchester -> Sinclair -> me. As mentioned before, some nasty stuff for brand new brass - but it seems that what Winchester gave up in forming the stuff they've made up in consistency of weight. These are the few that I didn't bother even running over a mandrel because I already had enough sorted/culled by that point to make (barely) up the 550pcs of match-ready brass I needed for international competition this summer.

In the past I've had a spread of as much as 7 full grains over 250pcs of Winchester .308 brass. This stuff, over 50 pcs, is showing a range of about 3.25gn.

By comparison, the Lapua Palma .308 brass I ordered and started prepping when I got back from the summer 'vacation' shows a spread of around 2.5gn... for 1000pcs. Virgin untouched out of the box(es) I binned it in batches between 171.00-19 on up to 172.40-59. The stuff at the light end (expanded, trimmed to length, chamfer/deburr, flash-hole reamed, neck-turned, fired, cleaned w/ #0000 steel wool) now weighs 170.5-170.8, and I would expect a similar reduction in weight from the stuff at the 'heavy' end, leaving not much in the way of a spread to separate the pack. That and the 'light' stuff has already been re-sized and primed (I'd forgotten that), so kind of tough to do an apples to apples comparison without firing them again, then doing a volume measurement, and firing the heavy stuff twice, then measuring, the firing again for velocity...

I may - if time allows - just run the full gamut with both the regular Lapua and Winchester brass for the sake of comparison.

FWIW, the spreadsheet is updated again here if anyone cares.

In the past I've had a spread of as much as 7 full grains over 250pcs of Winchester .308 brass.

That kind of spread was what made me a believer in weighing once I shot some of it without sorting and with sorting.

You merely lack attention to details. Sizing, of any sort, is just that. It's moving brass to the point of yield(beyond springback). A shooter using a FL die may or may not actually size portions of a case. I use body dies to bump shoulders, and bushings to partially size necks.
With this, there is an interference fit near the web but no sizing(stays within springback). Nor do I FL size necks(as actual FL dies do). I do not FL size -EVER.

Might want to look at a few details yourself and I understand why you are confused by my comments.

Lets make it clear then.

Redington clearly states that their Redington Body die you have been using y FL sizes the body and NOT just bumping the shoulders. The Reddington body die has the exact same sizing dimensions as their FL die and will size the body of any brass that was shot at anything above "powder puff" levels. Forster just came out with their Shoulder Bump die this year and you have been saying you have been using body dies for over two years, so the details mean that you have been using the Redington body die and FL sizing the body in spite of what you believe.

Now I might believe you only feel what you call "interference" the first time you use the case is shot, but I guarantee by the 3rd time, you are into real FL sizing. Cases DO NOT expand to a certain point and stay there forever as you infer. That is just not in the realm of believable.

Also, using a FL die to only partially size the necks will also always FL size the body above the webb too. Measure a few cases with an accurate blade mike and it will easily confirm.

So anyone who thinks they are not sizing the body by leaving the neck partially resized is only fooling themselves. That is a common misconception for uninformed though.

Close to WHO'S MAX? I never implied that this has anything to do with safe limits, or what shooters commonly take as a limit.
The ~57Kpsi max is MY MAX, and I am confident that you would find this as yours as well -if mindful of matching case capacities(and I don't get the impression you are).
This pressure is also completely sufficent for larger cartridges(including those popular in 1Kyd benchrest), given all the case choices & powders available today.
Don't take the context of this out of subject.

IF the experiment is to determine which is more accurate sorting, then one of two things must take place.

1. The "selected brass" is only fired once as compared to other brass selected with different sorting methods, (for example all within 1 grain) Otherwise you are in reality testing a reloading method. That means that there has to be at multiple sets of virgin brass shot, otherwise you are not testing sorting.

2. IF you are going to shoot the brass repeatedly, as Monte seems to indicate, then the test becomes a reloading methodoligy test and not a sorting test. If that is the case then, your 57K (which by the way is not the norm in the BR arena for 90% of the loads) comes into play as you think that works with brass sorted that way. So test it that way. However, Monte has already said that he is going to be going way over that for the normal Palma loads. Pretty sure he is going to be way beyond the "intererence" felt level too.

Pretty sure everyone knows that changing primers changes the load..
Who said anything about changing primers with capacity tests?

I mentioned that due to the fact, the indications are the test will involve repeated reloading using your NS only parameters. IF Monte or you do not use the QL tested primer (that is how you are estimating pressue), then who knows what the pressure really is. We know (by actually pressure testing) that we have of up to a 5k PSI variance in LR primers. Which primer did QL use? That means that if you are using a hotter primer than QL tested, you could be running 62,000 or if milder you could be running 52,000. QL is a good program for getting a starting spot but anyone that believes QL provides accurate pressures is deluding themselves.

QL has you go in and change the default parameters to try and match what you actually come up with. They only tested "standard chambers, standard throats, standard twists" with one lot of powder, primers, cases etc to come up with their data. Their posted warning requires you to compare their data with data in standard reloading manuals and caution against lot to lot variations of bullets, primers and powder (page 4 of their manual).

Reasons that occur to me relate to the same reasons we cull any brass during preps; to reduce wasted time and barrel life. But there is also specific testing going on here, with certain parameters eliminated to isolate other affects.

Pretty sure that "isolating other effects" is not the case if Monte is NS'ing only along with shooting the sorted cases. Two distinctly different parameters, each with the their own effects. So what will the groupings show? Sorting or reloading methodoligy?

Monte was talking of using Wilson NS dies which are real NS dies and is he using the body die? What are we measuring? Effects of sorting or reloading by NS (which we now know according to your using of the redington body die is FL szing the body and mabye partial neck, who knows at this point?)

What are the test procedures to either limit testing only sorted brass shot one time or is the test sorted brass and NS'd against what? A scientific test can only test one item at a time, not two.

Not understanding how any of this relates to capacity testing or results of cases matched by capacity..

That is the key, what are we testing? Virgin cases shot by various sorting methods or testing reloading techniques? CANNOT be both with same set of brass.

Maybe, maybe NOT..
I use neck tension for tuning and know that it's useful and that variance here is detrimental.

I've learned via painful process of elimination testing that primer STRIKE can be hugely significant to grouping. But I've yet to see any basis, or even discussion, for primer weight meaning anything.
And personally, I've yet to see any single parameter affect accuracy more than seating depths.

Seating depth is found once and pretty much stays the same as long as you monitor throat changes and adjust accordingly. HOWEVER, neck tension changes each time a piece of brass is shot and work hardens. Again, a proven fact. Careful monitoring has shown they also do not work harden the same, ergo the need for annealing or some type of sorting again, IF extreme accuracy is the goal. This is the real monstor to control.

Again, of course you need to make sure the firing pin spring is not rubbing inside the bolt causing a drag etc and you have the correct protusion. That is Rifle Setup 101 for BR and extreme accuracy guns.

The discussion of the weighing primers was to show the details that some BR/LR shooters are going to in their quest for ultimate accuracy. Most of us have tried various methods and shot many test groups to determine what works, what is pure BS and what just cannot be proven one way or the other.

I have done sorting and testing by water, the 1% (with other measurements) and using a Juenke and I know what my testing at 1k showed. That is why I would like to see what Monte finds, if he is in reality testing sorting only.

BH

BH,

Still waiting on the gun to come back... but yes, my plans for this test were to use Wilson hand dies for neck sizing and for seating the bullets. I do have Forster Precision bump dies which move the shoulder only, and I also have Redding Body dies, which don't touch the neck but do size the body. Also have Lee Collet dies - again, neck-only, and Redding Type 'S' F/L bushing dies. I planned on using the Wilson dies because they seem to do the absolute minimum of re-forming to the case, neck or otherwise.

Monte

BH,

Still waiting on the gun to come back... but yes, my plans for this test were to use Wilson hand dies for neck sizing and for seating the bullets. I do have Forster Precision bump dies which move the shoulder only, and I also have Redding Body dies, which don't touch the neck but do size the body. Also have Lee Collet dies - again, neck-only, and Redding Type 'S' F/L bushing dies. I planned on using the Wilson dies because they seem to do the absolute minimum of re-forming to the case, neck or otherwise.

Monte

OK, then what are you testing and what are you comparing it to? Group sorting or reloading techniques?

Sort testing only requires multiple groups of same brass fired only one time unless you are testing and comparing it to your standard case sorting method AND exact same standard reloading technique. Cannot test two parameters at once.

I just doubt you have been NS'ing only Palma loads!

You cannot only NS real Palma loads with a Wilson die for long? Then what?

BH

OK, then what are you testing and what are you comparing it to? Group sorting or reloading techniques?

Sort testing only requires multiple groups of same brass fired only one time unless you are testing and comparing it to your standard case sorting method AND exact same standard reloading technique. Cannot test two parameters at once.

Sort testing was the idea... take some cases, measure them, load them, shoot them once to get them fire-formed to the chamber, do a volume measurement on each of them, then fire them again for velocity measurement. Compare the two measurements (weight vs. 1x fired volume) as a predictor of muzzle velocity. What part of that is unclear or appeared to have changed?

Technically I think it *is* possible to test more than one thing at a time - but its beyond my technically ability at this point ;)

I just doubt you have been NS'ing only Palma loads!

You cannot only NS real Palma loads with a Wilson die for long? Then what?

The answer is... it varies :rolleyes:

When I neck size only... it is usually good for 2-3 firings, at which point I clean (wet SS tumbling), anneal, size, trim, etc. In between I brush the necks and give 'em a twist with #0000 steel wool. For most of my load testing and/or small-batch practice stuff, this is what I do most often.

I'm about ready to go back to F/L sizing w/ a bushing die simply because I like knowing the case is going to chamber easy each and every time, etc. I don't size very much, maybe 0.001" shoulder bump or as close as I can reliably measure.

Gunpower, this makes sense to me as if 2 cases are real close in weight, than after a few firings the heat and chamber dimensions should smooth out the brass. That seems to me logical as the brass should at some point in a few firings to be identical. I would think that resizing and measuring the weights would make the cases most uniform ath that point. You could also add in some annealing once you get similar brass weights.

Monte

You can lay off all of the tedious work on the brass. I proved all I needed to prove late this afternoon. Weight sorted Winchester brass in a 40X does a good job.

Jim :D :D

P.S. If you really just need something to do you can come and cut this deer up for me.

Attachments

• Pawpaw2011 (2).JPG
    Pawpaw2011 (2).JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.