Brass spinning on bolt???

Indyultra

I have a Rem 220 Swift that every once in awhile when loading a round into the chamber, it feels like the round is being jambed into the bore and when closing the bolt the round will actually stay put in the bore but its spinning on the bolt face. This happens with brand new brass, factory loads, and reloads. I've taken meassurments of the brass that sticks and one that don't and they measure out the same. Also it has happened in 2 different barrel. ANyone have any Ideas what I can check, I'm missing? Thanks Chris

couple of things.

Do the cases of the ones that feel like they spin have any indication that there is excess pressure after they are fired?

If the round feels like it has "spun" have you ejected it to see if the bullet has rifling marks on it or if the base has scrape marks on it or if the neck has circular scrape marks on it.

Here are my opinions of the possibiites

1. Dirty chamber neck with powder residue causing the neck to be tight or short.

2. Chamber was cut short or tight and some of the cartridges have thicker or longer necks and do not fit.

3. Bolt face diameter is marginal and a larger diameter than norrmal case head gets too tight in it.

Primary thing I would do is make sure chamber is really clean and then I would shoot until I ran across a cartridge that felt like it was spinning and not fire it but set it aside and measure every thing about it. Try the fit into the bolt face and try the fit into the chamber.

I do not understand the reference to two different barrels but if this means that this action with has been doing this while you shot out one barrel and is now doing it with the next barrel I would defintely start looking at the bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts