brass polishing

G

Do any of you use a tumbler to clean/polish your brass? Do you use the vibrating or rotary? Which works better? Thanks.
h

Two choices...
1. But a Dillon vibratory tumbler.
2. Anything else.

The Dillon will last just about forever. (There is no better company service than Dillon)
The vibratory type is much faster than the rotary type.
You can do moly coating either by fixing small jars to the lid or by putting screw top jars into the media.
I would recommend that you get a case/media seperator as well. It really speeds up the process of getting all the corn cob out of the shells in a hurry with little/no mess.

Yes, I am prejudice... but I have had many other case cleaning systems.

Michael

Harv, I bought the Midway brand(vibratory), seems to work good, get yourself some corncob media for polishing and walnut for cleaning, I believe they still offer the whole kit, just checked my Midway catalog, they got a Frankford Arsenal case tumbler kit w/rotary media separator. $75.33. It's got everything you need.
wink.gif
J

Thanks for the info. Sounds like everyone is using the vibratory type. I have a rock polisher (rotary) that I got when I was a kid. Can it be used and what results should I expect.
h

Harv...

What Michael Voigt said.

I used to own a "drum" type polisher (clothes drier tumbler type)... and it was the pits. The brass never got clean or polished.

I sold it to a guy that wanted to use it for moly, and I bought the large DIllon and the brass comes out like it was buffed on a wheel, and gold plated!
And we ALL know that shiny brass is much more accurate than dull brass
wink.gif
wink.gif
... but seriously last year I got a load of 50BMG brass soooo cheap I couldn't turn it down (I shoot a 50BMG)... 2,500 pieces for free! But it had been in the hold of a PBR in Florida, and was grungy and loaded with vertigris and crud.

I would load up the DIllon at night, and empty it in the morning, then load it up again and empty it in the afternoon... running 3 shifts a day 'til it was all done.
It ALL looks like new brass fresh out of the stamping mills.

Get a good quality vibratory machine and never loo back.]

I use corn cobb and a little of Dillon's blue stuff... that does it all.

CatShooter.

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

I use a vibratory unit also. Very satisfied.

I have read much ado about using tumblers, either style, and the damage they do to the necks of the brass. I have never been able to see any such damage and I have a hard time believing that a vibratory cleaner will cause a substantial change in the structural integrity of good quality brass.

I would be interested in other's opinions on this topic.

Thanks.

I'm sure most of you already know this but I just found out that you can buy large bags of crushed corn cob at most pet stores. You can usually find it with the bedding for rabbits. I bought a ten pound bag for six dollars and it works great.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.