Brass head question

Discussion in 'Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)' started by ZIMM, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

I started to gather my used SST's shotgun shells that I used last year to start learning how to reload. I notice a lot of them had what I would call them as rough almost like a crimped edge on them. Do I take the shells and go to a gun smith to figure out whats going on? Any suggestions???

2. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the SST Slugs, the crimp is called a roll crimp. If you want to reload shotshells, a folded crimp is best (either 6 or 8). Slugs, that requires a roll crimp. Do a google on Precision Reloading or Ballistic Products. They both have roll crimp tools.

You cannot (or at least without a lot of difficulty) change a roll crimp to a fold (star) crimp.

Also, shotgun shells are more sensitive to component changes. If you don't follow a recipe from a reputable source you could have a ka-boom!

3. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

My question is the... Why are the crimp edges on the brass head look damaged. Its almost looks like someone took tin snips to the edges of the brass head.

4. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Just a guess here but you may have an ejector issue or they are hitting something on the way out.

Are the hulls landing on concrete?

5. ZIMM

ZIMM Well-Known Member

no there not landing on concrete. I believe its an ejector issue. Should i take it to a gunsmith.
    Z

6. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Any chance you could post a picture? If not then a gunsmith may be your best bet.

7. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

ZIMM:

Oops! Sorry for the misunderstanding. By all means throw a pic up on here.