brass for a .308 norma?

kc

ok guys put your heads together, Am going through the Magnum Brass I have.
I was told I can use the 7MM, the.338 Win Mag,and a .30-338.
I was told the necks would be short but it will work.Do you know any othe brass that is compatable this calibre. I cant find in my books a .30-338 winchester.

Thak you.

ok guys put your heads together, Am going through the Magnum Brass I have.
I was told I can use the 7MM, the.338 Win Mag,and a .30-338.
I was told the necks would be short but it will work.Do you know any othe brass that is compatable this calibre. I cant find in my books a .30-338 winchester.

Thak you.

if your looking for load data, the AA powder manual has it listed. But it's pretty much the same for the Norma mag as well. You can buy new cases from Norma as well as make them out of 300 H&H brass, or even 8mm Rem. mag brass (or any basic piece of brass longer than the overall length of Norma brass. Most manuals say to make it out of 300H&H, but it looks to me like the more common .300 Winchester would work just as well
gary

Are you looking for 308 norma mag cases?? if so i have about 500 empty never fired.and about 250 once fired if your interested let me know

Here is .338 WM necked and fire formed into Norma brass. The furthest to the right is a Norma case, the rest are .338 WM cases. You can see the shorter neck. Two different bullet types too, The two on the left are Barnes 168gr TSX, the Norma case on the left has 168gr Sierra. You can use .300 WM brass, but the neck will need to be cut back if I recall correctly. I think I have a batch in the basement which has been formed but not yet cut back.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here is .338 WM necked and fire formed into Norma brass. The furthest to the right is a Norma case, the rest are .338 WM cases. You can see the shorter neck. Two different bullet types too, The two on the left are Barnes 168gr TSX, the Norma case on the left has 168gr Sierra. You can use .300 WM brass, but the neck will need to be cut back if I recall correctly. I think I have a batch in the basement which has been formed but not yet cut back.

attachment.php

If you make .308 Norma brass out of .300 Win brass, you need to trim the cases to the max your chamber will allow (about .005" shorter). The case will shrink at the neck during fire forming (they all do no matter what caliber).
gary

Dad has a 308 Norma, his Norma brass started head separations after 30yrs of FL sizing.

He made 20pcs with 300WM brass about twelve yrs ago. I made him some more 50pcs about 10yrs ago. After 308 norma sizing die you get to trim a little over an 1/8th inch off of the case.

My brother has one as well, and he's not so techie about reloading, etc. So I will be making more in the future. I shoot, a 300WM and I have boxes of Rem brass that I don't care for and I will set him up when the time comes.

I have been forming from 300 win mag Norma brass. With rem and win brass I get collapsing areas in the neck. Any sugestions.
Chuck

When you say "collapsing areas" are you talking about vertical creases? Often time if you use too much sizing lubricant, this happens. Many times they get blown out with fire forming, but not always.

They are vertical creases but I've tried cutting back on the lubing. I've had experience with overlube. The creases do not blow out when firing. It seems like it does it with remington and winchester cases but not with Norma cases. It seems like the norma cases are softer or more malleable for reforming.
Chuck

They are vertical creases but I've tried cutting back on the lubing. I've had experience with overlube. The creases do not blow out when firing. It seems like it does it with remington and winchester cases but not with Norma cases. It seems like the norma cases are softer or more malleable for reforming.
Chuck

try annealing the necks and shoulders before forming the cases to see if that helps you out.
gary