Brass Failure.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Leyerly338, May 3, 2012.

1. Leyerly338

Leyerly338 Well-Known Member

Noticed this while inspecting My brass after a trip through the Tumbler. I only have three firings on this Brass, guess I'll be discarding the lot and Parking the lapua until I can get some lapua Brass ordered.

Attached Files:

2. Leyerly338

Is this due to excessive Headspace? Or excessive chamber pressures?

3. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Shoulder bumped too far?

4. Trnelson

Trnelson Well-Known Member

Either of those reasons could explain your result. What's the load data? I would at first glance suspect excessive pressure.

5. Leyerly338

88gr H1000 COAL 3.681" 300gr OTM Berger, Fed 215M Primers.

6. Trnelson

Trnelson Well-Known Member

That should be a reasonable load. Adjust your die to just barely bump the shoulder. I'd start with fresh brass and recycle the rest of what you have there. YMMV

7. green 788

green 788 Well-Known Member

what kind of brass is that?

8. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Yep, oversizing and thin brass. What dies?

Jeff

9. Leyerly338

I use The RCBS two die set Jeff, looking back at the issue I've had in the past I am to blame. When I was dealing with chambering issues I kept bumping and bumping the shoudler back. Well come to find out it was a pic rail screw that was causing the bolt closure issues and after resolving that I never adjusted My die depth (Damn rookie). I have crimped all My brass and discareded it since finding the head seperation since I found several with thin spots and one had a split about 5/8" long running parallel between the web and shoulder. I am going to order Lapua brass from here on out, My buddy who is an experienced handloader is going to help Me get set up right and I plan on annealing between every firing in the future as well. It bums Me out cause I have finally found a load that it likes to shoot and groups well with but I'd rather take the time to get safe rather than blow My face off.

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

You are smart by tossing that brass. Aint worth the chance of a scored chamber either. You will be ok and it might shoot even better in brass as good as Lapua. You caught it in time, all is good.

Jeff

11. Leyerly338

My Girlfriend was looking at pic's online of catostrophic failures with rifles/brass and She was in tears after seeing the results. I was a little uneasy after I found the bad brass but I'm here to shoot another day.

12. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

You seem like a rational person. So consider a mistake as raising the probability of other mistakes -that you don't know about yet.
    I suggest you pick up [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Handloading-Competition-Making-Target-Bigger/dp/096269259X?tag=duckduckgo-d-20"]Amazon.com: Handloading for Competition Making the Target Bigger. (9780962692598): Glen D. Zediker: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bnCS92VjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bnCS92VjL[/ame]
    You probably won't put it down once you start reading it.

13. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Great suggestion. I have lost track of how many hand loading manual and books I have. And I still use most of them once in a while for a reference.

Jeff