Brass cleaning question

Blow out the cases with air or tap out the water on a stack of newspaper, then lay them where a fan can blow air on them. They are dry the next morning.

The oven idea is what I do when I want to speed things up. A small toaster oven works best for small batches and takes less power than a big kitchen oven. Make sure you don't use too much heat.

If I need to polish small batches of brass, I just load the ultrasonic cleaned cases and then put a drop of Flitz case polish on each one and rub it in my fingers for a few seconds. When you wipe off the case it is better polished than several hours with corn cob media. This is good for batches up to a hundred rounds or so. The bullet also gets polished in the process, and the finished round looks better than any commercial ammo. Beyond that amount I use the Flitz polish on the corn cob media in my vibratory tumbler.

Rubbing hard with a clean dry cloth is what really puts the polish on brass, and it chambers like it has been teflon lubed.

I've never thought of using corn or walnut media again after using STM. By far superior to either of the others.

I've never thought of using corn or walnut media again after using STM. By far superior to either of the others.

I agree .
Stainless media was always the better faster way but they put forward , slower systems , like corn cob and walnut shell to slow people down so they spend more money in the long run .
There is no reason to have to run a case polisher all night other than the media is too slow in action and the tumbling system too slow in rotation or it's a vibrator which is always slower .
A lot would depend on where you lived and how close the neighbours are etc.
I could not run my tumblers all night , it would cause trouble so I have to use a faster system .
Everyone has different circumstances so one size does not fit all but I like STM .

I have a heated ultra sonic cleaner as well.

They are all not getting used these days
since I bought the STM stainless media tumbler.

Jeff

I dont know Jeff, how do you explain the turned on ultrasonic cleaner in the backround of this picture? :D

Attachments

• 002800x600_zps38f4802b.jpg
    002800x600_zps38f4802b.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 75
I dont know Jeff, how do you explain the turned on ultrasonic cleaner in the backround of this picture? :D

Ha ha!! The display is on all the time if it is plugged in. That cord goes down through a hole in the bench and into a power strip behind those tool boxes. It just sits there but I need to clean it, put it back in its box and store it. Or let Diane have it for jewelry. I just looked and it is ice cold and 90% of the stinky vinegar solution has evaporated away. Trust me it is ice cold and has not been fired up since the arrival of the STM system. The vibrator tumblers are under the bench sporting a nice coat of dust.:D

Good catch Riley, but no glory..:D

Jeff

I always seem to be stumbling onto pictures of that **** rifle! Shawn is going to be getting a phone call and I'm gunna end up I trouble with the wife if I'm not careful.

I think Riley made that catch because he has a poster-sized pic of that rifle on his wall! When I was 14 I had posters of stupid Italian cars and model-type women who probably couldn't even cook wild game. I think Riley's got it figured out!

Jeff, I thought you were going to say it was a wave radio :D. C'mon, its plugged in but I don't use it? Sounds like a Clinton quote to me! :D:D:D

Too funny. Riley your post made my night.

I think Riley made that catch because he has a poster-sized pic of that rifle on his wall! When I was 14 I had posters of stupid Italian cars and model-type women who probably couldn't even cook wild game. I think Riley's got it figured out!

Jeff, I thought you were going to say it was a wave radio :D. C'mon, its plugged in but I don't use it? Sounds like a Clinton quote to me! :D:D:D

Too funny. Riley your post made my night.
LOL! Im dying from the Clinton part...

Ha ha!! The display is on all the time if it is plugged in. That cord goes down through a hole in the bench and into a power strip behind those tool boxes. It just sits there but I need to clean it, put it back in its box and store it. Or let Diane have it for jewelry. I just looked and it is ice cold and 90% of the stinky vinegar solution has evaporated away. Trust me it is ice cold and has not been fired up since the arrival of the STM system. The vibrator tumblers are under the bench sporting a nice coat of dust.:D

Good catch Riley, but no glory..:D

Jeff

That's the way it always is. ha ha :rolleyes:

How necessary is a case tumbler for a new reloader? I'm just getting into the game and haven't purchased anything yet.

Jay

Jay , you can surely get by for a while with out something. But at some point brass will get pretty dirty. I would at least use some 0000 steel wool on the necks and shoulders for now. If you shoot a lot, like clean cases inside and out, and plan to be loading for a long time, I will recommend you save for the STM.

Jeff

Thanks for the kind reply Jeff. I have asked other reloading questions and got the typical "use the search function" answer from some members. I live over in Butte. I hope to meet you some day and look at your guns and loading gear or do some hunting with you. I hope to have my APS 338 AX this year (Kirby said I might have it for big game season) and need to practice on some of my other rifle rounds first.

Jay

Thanks for the kind reply Jeff. I have asked other reloading questions and got the typical "use the search function" answer from some members. I live over in Butte. I hope to meet you some day and look at your guns and loading gear or do some hunting with you. I hope to have my APS 338 AX this year (Kirby said I might have it for big game season) and need to practice on some of my other rifle rounds first.

Jay

Jay, if you are coming over this way give me a PM. If you want to stop by and look over my equipment I will be glad to show you what I use.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.