Braking my STW

Discussion in '7mm STW' started by richeyman1, Jan 2, 2014.

1. richeyman1

richeyman1 Member

Hey guys looking for all the input I can get on putting a brake on my STW. Pros, cons and general info for good manufacturers to look at. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

There is an stw forum on the main forum page. I would say ask there. Lots of guys on that page. Lots of info!!! I have one that has a break and one that does not.
    Either way it is great!! Range shooting love the break!!!

3. bigbass

bigbass Active Member

I'm new to the forum but I can tell as a younger man my STW was stomping me pretty good, so I had it sent off and a brake installed, best thing I ever did, its no problem now. I can tell you it takes all the kick out of the gun but makes it 4 times as loud, it will hurt your ears if you do not wear protection, I don't mean loud , I mean VERY LOUD! I shot a deer out of my jeep about 2 weeks ago and my left ear felt like it burst, it didn't , but it hurt for awhile. I don't remember who I sent it too, I'm sure someone here will know a good reference, good luck, Mike

4. dodgefreak8

dodgefreak8 Well-Known Member

Always wanted to try a Brockman brake on my ruger #1 stw. They are switchable on/off. Might check them out

5. 284nut

284nut Active Member

I have 2 STW's Remington 700 and Winchester 70 classic sporter and both have removable brakes. My 17 year old has come in to his own regarding accuracy after the brakes were installed, I highly recommend it. Get a threaded brake with a thread protecting cap and use it when and where you want. As mentioned by others, they are extremely loud, hearing protection is a must when the brake is installed!

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Snowy Mountain Rifles makes the best overall brake I've ever used. Very effective at both recoil and muzzle flip reduction and easy on the shooter as well.

There is no downside to putting one on other than you will spend more on ammo/reloading. The one I have on my 7mm STW Sharpshooter makes it a complete pussycat to shoot.