Brake on/Brake off-change POI?

idahoorion

Hi Guys,

been a lurker here for a while, 40 years of hunting but new to the Long range game, (over 400 yds for me). I have a few rifles and am working on the 243 first, cause I want to have the process down when I go to the 300 win....cause it hurts! So, I just emailed Jim at Centershot rifles about his brake and asked if he supplied collars too. He does. So I can work up the 300 on long range but take it to the mtns with a collar so my buddies and my horse will still listen to me :). The question is......will taking the brake off and putting the collar on change the ballistics of the round.?

Thanks
Orion

E 101

Thanks for the response! So, after I dial her in with the brake, remove the brake and check for POI and group size with the new harmonics? Adjust as neccessary and go huntin?

Cheers
Orion

A friend of mine bought a 300rum with a break on it. After working a load that shot at or under half inch at 100 yards and shooting for 2 hunting seasons he decided it was to loud so we took off the break. The group's shot after that were around 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 100yards. We put it back on and it shot normal again.

In my experience today, yes it can and will....While shooting this afternoon, my BOSS came loose on my A-Bolt 7Mag, and it was throwing my shots every friggin where! Like 3-4" off, and high, low, side-to-side....Any and wvery which way.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.