Boyd Heaton and 338-378

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by JustC, May 14, 2003.

1. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

Just watched one of the videos (1 I think), that's some sweet shooting going on there. I will be aquiring number 2 soon. You boys are having some serious fun.....I can't get a shot like that here, it's too flat. Any ideas which rangefinder will work better for ranging a target with no background?

Boyd, what recipe is working in your 300RUM? I will be picking up mine from the smith this afternoon [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have a 30" 10twist with a vais screwed on her. I plan on using 200 and 220gr bullets, so I would think your powder choice from what I saw on the video would be a huge jumpstart for me in finding a recipe. Also, if it helps, I'm on the Eastern shore of MD so pretty much at sea level with high humidity.

Thanks

2. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

JustC,Did the video you watched have HOW TO footage in it..The powder I use with bullets over 200gr is Retumbo....I would shoot the 240's if I were you...Start at 79gr and work up....I am getting a touch over 3000fps with the 240's

3. Perkules

Perkules Well-Known Member

Hey,see my post in "The Basics". Where do I find those videos?

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]

4. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

5. Perkules

Perkules Well-Known Member

Okay,thanks!

6. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

Boyd, the one I watched is the one where you shoot the group from the bench at the beginning,...it also has Hart showing his rifles in it.

I picked her up tonight, and she looks good. I am glad he finished the barrel at just shy of 1". I also have Wilson dies for it. I will be shhot-clean,..shoot-clean,...shoot-clean for a day or two, but then it's down to business.

Thanks for the info,....I have some retumbo on order, but no telling when they will get it in. [​IMG] I guess I can just use some N165 or RL25 to break in the barrel, light loads and a lot of TLC.

7. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

You'll like the RL25 and may want to stick with it too, I've got a pretty good load with the 220 SMK at 87gr but it's a max load so work up if you go with it.

I also am getting nice groups with RL25 and the 178 A-Max at 95gr, about max load too.

RL22 has been super too. I'm settling on 88gr with the 178gr A-Max, about max too. [​IMG]

8. JustC

JustC Well-Known Member

I have the 8lb container of VN 165 from the smith, for finishing break-in. Does anyone have the load range for this powder in this caliber?

Brent, thanks for the input on the RL25, I may have to get another can of that,...I am sure this rig is gonne like to eat powder [​IMG]