Bow Elk hunt in Co.

elkmaster101

Guys & GALS,
I'm a new member to this forum,
I'm going bow hunting in colorado,and venturing into an area i've
never hunted, nore ventured into,(unit 441).
What can I expect to find in 441?
LOOKING AT GOING OUT ON THE 16 OF SEPT.
Hunt to the end of the season.
Is there any place on the internet i can find maps of the area?
Find out who owns the property,
It apears to be forest land,
but this doesn't mean public.
Any help would be greatfull.

Maybe we really don't know?

Or maybe you are the only person out there that we have all conspired to not help?

Hmmm?

Aj

wow, again.
well I've been hunting colorado for elk for what seams like internity.
This will be my 17th season, and i have covered a lot of areas,
this year we are switching to a new area, its kind of like shooting craps.
but to find the elk does'nt take rocket science,
I look fo frist, an area with little road access, good cover, preferably deep canyons with north slopes, and a good sorce of water.
then there is the esentials like food, and some open ground. south clear slopes, and east -west ridges. which will usaly put you in good elk country.
check it out, i would bet all your fravorite spots have just the same descriptions.
I have found like many the elk aren't up high but tend to stay in teh low areas unless they have been chased the the high ground.
I generaly look for hard to access areas, typicaly due to the leg work required,
not that its dificult climbing but rather just to long for the average joe to hike in and then would by no means be able to carry out an elk.
this tends to put me back a couple miles anyway.
in the west elk wilderness area. for 5 years i was know as the back camp, i was in about 18 miles by horse.
super area but little elk.
they get a crap load of hunters in there thinking the same thing, got to go deep.
well the last couple years i have been hunting the fringes of the eurbin areas,
and with quite success.
last years hunting buddy and one from the year before and I have got to gether and we are looking for a new area, thats how we picked area 441, we've also picked picked up a new kid who has never hunted elk but wants to get the desease.
It looks like a road trip is going to be in my list of things to do here in the next few weeks
google earth and the dow have been great addvesaries in helping make my search for areas as i have mentioned above.
the next trick is venturing out a couple weeks prior to hunting a new area and do a quick search, talk to the locals, and knock on the local ranchers doors.
and its not all about huge, I took a great royal last year, and there is many a time i just meat hunt.

We will be bow hunting, and it looks like the last week of that season,

elkmaster101 (just learnig) :)
Be safe and have a good season.

I have been all over the west elk wilderness and 441. I would stay in the west elk if I were you. 441 and the surrounding units have the highest elk density per square mile of anywhere in the world outside of a high fence. Also the highest concentrations of orange vests chasing them. Co DOW has had an intense effort over the past few years to try and control those populations with tons of cow tags and working with landowners to allow trespass fee hunting. Elk numbers are down from years past. It is mostly private land and that is where most of the elk are. There is national forest in the north end of the unit but the elk up there get pushed onto the private very fast with any pressure. The elk there know exactly through generations now where the safe zones are that have no hunting and flock to it when any hunters are spotted. Not uncommon for them to migrate miles overnight to it. You will find the highest concentrations of elk in the oak brush areas. They have learned through generations that they are safer there. When hunting there understand you are hunting very pressured and extremely educated elk. If you think the west elk is heavily hunted then multiply that by about a thousand in 441 and those surrounding units.

What a crabby ba$tard. I hope your mom comes out from under the front porch and bites you.

I know, dang it, it gets worse every day closer season.
Not sure if its desire or anticipation that causes it.
Could be just my elk sickness i've had for the last 17 years.
But the mother thing sounds cool, but she's been dead for 6 years so highly unlikely.

Any pictures out there yet of your Kills?
Maybe that would cheer me up.
God only knows how bad i want to slide an arrow
into the pump station of large bull elk.

How about their screams or are they still quiet?
I'm thinking northern Co. should be at mid rut whats your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.