Bought braked rifle, bullets keyholing!

"I'm going to get it opened up to .338 and assuming the barrel is okay it will be set back and rechambered to 338 RUM."

OR you could take it to REPUTABLE gunsmith, and just neck and throat it to 338 and you have a 338 EDGE.
Just a thought.
Dave

Yes I could but it would still have to be set back. I'm going to give this smith a chance to make it right. Rather than spending another $200 in shipping and labor which I could never collect from this smith if I didn't give him a chance to correct it I will see how it turns out. I currently have a 338 RUM and if this one will shoot my load that shoots great in the other one that would be fine with me. It's going out tomorrow so we will see how it shakes out.

What you are seeing is a catastrophic failure! Even the cheapest Walmart special shoots 2" at 100yds out of the box with factory ammo.

You should get a cast of the chamber! Use a laser to boresight and drop back to a lighter bullet. Just try some mid-range factory ammo.

What caliber is it?

Good luck!

Tom

What you are seeing is a catastrophic failure! Even the cheapest Walmart special shoots 2" at 100yds out of the box with factory ammo.

You should get a cast of the chamber! Use a laser to boresight and drop back to a lighter bullet. Just try some mid-range factory ammo.

What caliber is it?

Good luck!

Tom

Apparently you only read the last few posts in this thread. It's a 300 RUM Chamber in a 338 barrel. I do not think a lighter load is goin to help.
Dave

Wow you are lucky very lucky it could have turned ugly. I'm curious did you bother to ask the smith why he didn't test fire and if he did how come he didn't see there was a problem...In all likelihood it probably wasn't test fired. if your quite sure the seller new this or new something was seriously wrong with the rifle then I'll go back to what I said in an earlier post...Care to mention a name so the rest of us have a heads up/buyer beware on the seller? Also, if you are going to send back to the original smith then I'd make sure he knows you want him to test fire and provide you with the results.

well, since he hasn't disclosed the seller, i will be happy to. it is me. what i sold was a test fired only 300rum(since rebarrel), i just lost interest, and never pursued it. this is one of those genuine honest screw ups, where he was right and i sure thought i was right.

the language in his phone conversation was to say the least, threatening, and not well recieved by me. when i got home i provided the link to the gunsmith, the delay was i wanted to speak to the smith first so he was not blind sided by this. i also disclosed what i could about the rifle, which honestly wasn't much, it was a gunshow purchase as a 338win mag, sent it out, got it back and sold it. what also serious complicated any sincere attempts to make it right was when he disclosed his load data to me. it was 7 grains over the powder manufacturers max load, and 5.5 over the bullet manufacturers max load. this is for the first shot he ever fired out of the rifle. based on that i did not feel to obligated to warranty it. my last correspondance with him was go read a loading manual and pay particular attention to the part about starting 10% low and work up.

no offense to him but i thought he was rather clueless, but he kept providing good info that sounded credible and knowledgeable, so i was kind of at a loss as to figure this out. in hind sight understandably so.

here is the sister thread to this one, kinda funny in hindsight...
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,28652.msg208003.html#msg208003

Last edited:
I feel the need to respond to the following:"the language in his phone conversation was to say the least, threatening, and not well recieved by me. when i got home i provided the link to the gunsmith, the delay was i wanted to speak to the smith first so he was not blind sided by this. i also disclosed what i could about the rifle, which honestly wasn't much, it was a gunshow purchase as a 338win mag, sent it out, got it back and sold it. what also serious complicated any sincere attempts to make it right was when he disclosed his load data to me. it was 7 grains over the powder manufacturers max load, and 5.5 over the bullet manufacturers max load. this is for the first shot he ever fired out of the rifle."

First of all, the only threat I made over the phone was at the end of the conversation before he hung up to turn him in to his state attorney general for fraud. I did get loud about halfway into the conversation. In fairness he did say to put the rifle back in the box and put return to sender. I was not comfortable with that and said I wanted to do it through an FFL on his end. He didn't want to pay a transfer fee. I was already out $40 for shipping on an actual shipping cost of $22 right on the box.
The part about him wanting to speak to the smith first is bull#^$. I asked several times for the name of the smith before I ever knew there was a problem with the rifle with either no response or "I'll have to look up the receipt" When I spoke with the gunsmith finally he was familiar with the seller's name right off the bat, having built several rifles for him. The seller acted like he didn't even remember what the name of the gunsmith was. Why was it such a big deal to give me the name? As far as going over book max, I never said that was the first shot out of the barrel. Maybe I worked up to it, hmmm? It was 89 grains of 7828, the bullets were no where near the rifling (now I know why) and as stated in my email to him the bolt opened easy, nice round primers and no extractor mark on the case head of the new Remington brass.
Here is the complete description from the auction:
"i started this build and just lost interest in it. it is a left handed remington action, blind magwell, w/ a 1-10 twist #7 shilen select match barrel, the round count is 2, done by the gunsmith. no optics or bipod included. threaded muzzle brake, barrel is 28" w/ a 2" brake for an overall of 30". fitted in a super sniper stock. ohio residents can do a ftf transfer w/ proper i.d. it is ready to be shot, mount your optics and have at it, rings and bases stay w/ rifle, i have both 30mm and 1" rings. the gunsmith that performed the work is a dealer listed on this sight and i will provide that info so you can contact him for any particulars once you are a sucessful bidder. i could be interested in barrel nut bolt rifles and military rifles towards trades. but got a half finished f/tr rifle and would like to shoot it before snow flies, that is my motivator for selling it. discrete paypal w/ the 3.5% is fine or 7% if you use a credit card and paypal. cash is king, money orders etc. is fine. this will probably cost about $50 to get out to the west coast, i am not looking to get rich shipping, just cover the cost."

"no offense to him but i thought he was rather clueless, but he kept providing good info that sounded credible and knowledgeable, so i was kind of at a loss as to figure this out. in hind sight understandably so."

Offense taken. Why the hell would you say that you thought I was clueless in a public forum, especially now that you know the rifle was messed up. How about saying you were sorry about the rifle, no matter if you thought I acted unreasonable.

"here is the sister thread to this one, kinda funny in hindsight..."

I don't find it a damned bit funny. The muzzle brake could have shattered to pieces and injured me.

I'm not going to put any more public response on here to hershey, no one wants to hear about my dirty laundry .

Last edited:
. How about saying you were sorry about the rifle said:
i pretty much thought i was fessing up to the situation, i openly admit, i thought you were exagerating a keyhole issue up until the end when you supplied the pic's. based on what i truelly thought i sent you, i could not connect the dots on your failure. you are correct, allot of things could of gone horribly wrong, but is there any evidence that i tried to knowingly fraud you? if there is please point it out. i even went to others that i knew, hoping to shed a spark of anything on the issue that might help. if it still turns out to be a lemon or you want to bail on it, let me know. my main hang up was how in the hell was a new shillen barrel doing what you were telling me, i just could not come up w/ any good reason, and therefore i became suspect of what was going on at your end. my apologies to all the offense taken, it is what it is, and i can't change anything. i know jim will make it as right as he can.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.