Bought a Pre64 M70 35 Rem Today

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by nitrousmudbogger, Mar 12, 2011.

1. nitrousmudbogger

nitrousmudbogger Well-Known Member

I got a screeming good deal.Its a pre war in 35 rem which there were only 400 ever made in that caliber. Got it for $350 at the gun show! Guy was carrying it around and I was walking around and kept thinking I should see what it was. Glad I did.
    The Bad: someone magna ported the barrel! Damn it! They also rechambered it to 35 Whalen and put a pad on the stock. Oh well cant beat the price for the action anyways:D

2. hemiscrub

hemiscrub Active Member

can't argue with it for 350. to bad someone butchered it. hows the stock? whats your plans for it?

will

gotta ask whats a .234?

3. nitrousmudbogger

Not sure what Im gonna do with it. Maybe shoot it once and see what happens from there.
    .234 is a 6mm rem necked down to a .234 caliber

4. hemiscrub

hemiscrub Active Member

what kinda weight are the 234's in? i always thought a 35 whelen would be a fun cartridge. either or you still got a pre 64 for 350 bucks, win win situation in my eyes.

will

5. nitrousmudbogger

We typically have done 70 grainers in the 234. My dad had berger make some jackets and we filled them with the lead and crimped the nose. I am thinking more and more of lathe turning some in various sizes as it would be much easier to do than jacketed bullets.
    I will take pics of the group of the 35 whalen when I make it to the range. Im guessing its going to be terrible because of the magnaporting.

6. hemiscrub

hemiscrub Active Member

hey nitro did you ever make it to the range with the 35 whelen?

7. nitrousmudbogger

No I havent been to the range in a while. Maybe next week, got a bunch of stuff to test fire and Im really curious to shoot the thing