Bought a 30-06

chain

I picked up a 30-06 last night. A wood stocked Savage pre- accutrigger. Appears to have maybe 20 rds thru it. It is replacing one I lost in a house fire years ago. There is just something about being in the woods with an '06. Going to make it my winter project. Will post later looking for loads. Probably will run some factory stuff thru it until I get some dies etc.

I use H-4350 in my 30-06 with 168 and 180 grain.........

Last edited:
I to like 4350 in the old 30-06 but I have found that I can get a little more speed out of R-22 with the heavier bullet like the 175 and up

A second on RL 15,19, and 22 for the 06 great powders. Have also used
IMR 4350 with great results oon the 150 and 165 bullets.

That savage should serve you well. I have owned 4 savage rifles over the years. They all were extremely accurate. Three of them were the plain-jane 110's. The only problem with any of them was you could not let the stock get wet or it will swell and crack pretty fast. I cured that problem by getting a synthetic 7mag 112. As far as the '06 is concerned, as an overall round you can't beat it. I shoot the same load in my 03 Springfield as I did in my Savage, a healthy load of R22 under a 180gr partition. Will kill anything that walks, large or small. Not exactly a loooong range load.

I have 2 other Savages and they both are pretty good. I have had work done on my 300 win, everything but a barrel. I will use it for longer ranges I think the 30-06 will go in the deep north woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.