BOTW 6.5mm 142gr. Berger vld?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by ZSteinle, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ZSteinle

ZSteinle Well-Known Member

I see on the long range store website they have a 142gr available, anyone have any information on this? Their website says nothing about it

2. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Most likely a misprint. Sierra makes a 142. Berger a 140.

Berger's addin' new stuff all the time. But, I doubt a 142 is gonna be added to the menu.

3. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

I also noticed that the other day and was wondering about it?

4. ZSteinle

I have a hard time thinking BOTW is getting in bed with sierra. But who knows.

5. ZSteinle

From the folks at BOTW

The 142gr is a bullet BOTW has produced. It is not a Berger bullet.
    The BC is just slightly higher than the 140 Berger. The advantage is the 2 extra grains out in the tip, this equates to a little better penetration before it starts to expand. They generally are a little more accurate in most rifles.

6. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 Well-Known Member

Botw has also came out with a 175 7mm botw vld and a 197 308 botw vld, all the bullets in the line have the j4 jacket. I have been working with the 197 ALOT and really am loving it. I have worked up loads for the 300rum, 300 wby mag and the 300 win mag, with its bc of .620 its a smoker out of all 3 calibers. When I get my 264 win built I will be playing with the 142.

7. .284

.284 Well-Known Member

Good post, I was watching an episode where I seen that bullet written on their turret and found the same info on their website as you did - nothing except that they sell it

8. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Is that what Berger claims as far as penetration?.........Rich

9. ZSteinle

That is what was emailed back to me from the people at Best Of the West.

10. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

Thanks! I would have to think about that a little? With no other changes in design, I would question that based on my limited knowledge......Rich

11. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

The bullet Is a 142 gr. jLK, it has a G1 BC of .640. It is an excellent bullet with great accuracy, and performance on game that is identical to the 140 VLD Hunting Bergers. The bullet is only available from BOTW.

12. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing more info on this

13. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 Well-Known Member

Not trying to steal this post but I must expand on the 197 botw vld. this bullet is FREAKING AWESOME, I have heard of bullets that the wind just does'nt seem to effect well this is one of those bullets! just finished up putting together a semi custom Weatherby mark 5 and was out shooting the data for the turrets yesterday, and the wind was blowing from5 to 25 mph and shifting from my 9 oclock to a 6 oclock, just bad conditions to gather data in. I usually zero at 200 then my mid range target is at 400 and the far target is 800, well yesterday in these conditions this rifle and bullet combo shot a 5 shot group at the far range target that measured just over 3" and was only a 1/2 moa to the left of dead center when I walked up to check the point of impact my jaw just dropped I was stunned, I have a tough time shooting a group this tight in perfect conditions. the bullet leaves the muzzle at a crono'ed 3098 fps out of a 26' Wilson match grade barrel with just 14 moa dialed in the scope. I cant wait to get my new 300 win barrel next week so I can start playing with this bullet some more.

14. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

That is impressive!! I would like to try those in my 300WM Sendero. With that BC, if I can get 3000fps it should be outstanding!