Bottom metal opinions bdl style

n2horns

Looking for opinions on the various bdl bottom metal options out there. I'm building a Rem 700 SA clone and trying to decide in the bottom metal. Goimg to rebuild a 700 LA from seekins dbm with aics into bdl style.

Appreciate the help.

Brownells sells actual BDL bottom metal kits for around $150-160 for all the parts to convert an ADL to a BDL, but it does not include the action screws.

If you have a s/a seekins dbm I would trade you for a stock bdl style (+cash) or a pt&g obendorf style bottom metal with a wyatts box.

I'm building a Rem 700 SA clone and trying to decide in the bottom metal. Goimg to rebuild a 700 LA from seekins dbm with aics into bdl style.

I want to re-state this question so that I'm clear as to what you have and where you want to get to.:)

You currently have:

A stock which is a Rem. 700 Long Action and is milled for the Seekins DBM in LA.

Going to this:

Rem. 700 Short Action clone using the BDL bottom metal.

I don't want to appear to be a dullard but I think this is now clear as to the work you need to get done. Yes?

Willams Bottom Metal. It's a fine work of art. It's made from steel and not aluminum like the Remington. Word of caution though. If you are ordering a stock, make sure you tell them which bottom metal you are using. I failed to double check my order when I ordered my manners stock, but luckly for me my smith was able to fit it. It worked out just fine after all.

I have a fresh new build going into a McMillan on clone Rem 700 SA, preferably a Stiller Precision Predator. So this build will be using the BDL BM.

I have a current finished build on Stiller Precision Predator in a LA using Seekins DBM.

Good options on the BDL BMs. Going to narrow it down and get a stock order in.

I prefer not to have a mag extending below the gun on a hunting rifle as they tend to get in the way and are more easily damaged/lost.

I have several different types.

The PT&G Obendorf Stealth is a good DBM, their Obendorf BDL bottom metal is excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.