Boretech .338 245gr.

nddodd

Anybody out there shoot the 245gr .338 boretech bullets thinking about getting some and wandering whether they perform well on big game.

Thanks Nathan.

I use them for shooting paper & rocks in my 338win & 338rum they shoot great! The win. shoots .75 & the rum .5 to .60 they have a BC of about .870 gun)

How far have you tested them out to? I just picked up some for my 338 LM groups at 100 were 1/4 MOA with 250gr Scenars and just under 1/2 MOA with 300gr SMK's. Haven't managed any groups under 1/2 MOA at 1000. I'm only using my rifle for long range target shooting so expansion is not an issue.

How far have you tested them out to? I just picked up some for my 338 LM groups at 100 were 1/4 MOA with 250gr Scenars and just under 1/2 MOA with 300gr SMK's. Haven't managed any groups under 1/2 MOA at 1000. I'm only using my rifle for long range target shooting so expansion is not an issue.
I have grouped the RUM @ 300 yards 1"- 1.25 the win I have only grouped @ 100. A friend of mine shoots them in his RUM H.S PRECISION TAC. rifle & he gets 1/2 MOA to 3/4 MOA out of his out to 700.

I emailed boretech one month ago as I was considering a 338 rum build. They responded and told me that there data shows that the 245 grn bullet works well on thick hided animals out past 500 yrds. That is where the bullet is slowing down enough to expand and cause internal damage. If I decide to get a 338 rum I will deffinatly try these bullets out. Just my humble .02

Darrin

I would recommend catching these bullets in water or some other media to determine how they will react on game, before testing on game animals. Also you may want to check the regulations for the state that you intend to hunt. Non-expanding solids are not legal in many states. Bore Tech's hollow point looks like a great bullet, but not offered smaller than .416.

My .02

Steve

I got some of them to use in my 338 Lapua that i am having built and called bore tech a couple times and asked a bunch of questions. The guys that i talked to are great guys and will take there time to expain anything to you. That being said i did ask about useing on big game and he told me the same as what someone else previously posted about not reccomended inside of 500 yards. He did say that they were working on a hunting bullet in .338 since they had such good luck with the hunting bullets they make in the other callibers .416 and .50. If you got any questions just give them a ring and im sure they will help you out as they did me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts