Bored in Afghanistan and lost in Bagram

Silverback7

Okay guys, I am really bored in Afghanistan during my free time. I have already tied a million flies, cleaned my weapon a billion times and read every single gun and hunting mag I can find-twice. Even been an attack dummy for the working dogs. Help me, Suggestions welcome.gun)
Dave

During a really crappy week of nonstop rain on a hunting trip my buddies and I started to hunt bugs. Even lined up flies on the table as decoys to lure more in. I will admitt more than just a little silly but funnier than hell and did manage to kill some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay guys, I am really bored in Afghanistan during my free time. I have already tied a million flies, cleaned my weapon a billion times and read every single gun and hunting mag I can find-twice. Even been an attack dummy for the working dogs. Help me, Suggestions welcome.gun)
Dave
I am not sure if you workout or now but some guys are doing the workouts from "militaryathlete.com" This may make you go from bored to bored and exhausted though. My brother-in-law has deployed for there but has to spend some time in the US somewhere first.

I have already tied a million flies...

Any cool local materials that we can't get back in the US? Whenever my friends and I get ready for a trip, we always try to find some sort of exotic material that you just have to use for the super secret fly.

Any cool local materials that we can't get back in the US? Whenever my friends and I get ready for a trip, we always try to find some sort of exotic material that you just have to use for the super secret fly.

customs wont let us export anything dead or alive, or ammo or mines or any of that crazy stuff. I can understand the dead animal parts....but if they actually put mines and live animals in the customs rule book for Bagram, some PVT somewhere probably tried to do it. I can see it now.

Dave

I did almost 15 months in the combat zone in another time frame. So listen up as we both have been thru this game plane (or are going thru it).

* Never get bored!! AS IN NEVER!! When you get bored you loose the edge. Even if you gotta fill sandbags; keep your mind working at 110%.

* Learn to write a journal. It's well worth the time, and you'll enjoy it thirty years from now.

* No matter how well you keep your gear, you can make it better. Might be a life save next week.

Sad thing is that you guys are treated like high school kids over there with restriction after restriction. We did parties, and simply raised a lot of hell during slow times. Played music till dawn every night. Course we had beer! But there wasn't a female within forty klicks of my base camp! Developed the art of bar room brawling, and the first shirt loved it! But alas they took that away from us when we completely destroyed the batallion beer hall in about thirty minutes. After that my company was banned from going back to the rear to unwind.

It's time to submit a memborship in the VFW (if you need some help, email me). This will help you when you get outta that place, and kinda give you a heads up. Just remember you got the rest of your life ahead of you. My email address is always open to you
gary

Don't know how much access you're given to the internet in your 'down' time, but I find it easy to spend 30-60 minutes a day researching hunting and shooting topics of interest on this Forum. There's a number of additional hunting Forums available if you live and love to hunt.

As mentioned, any form of physical exercise is a good mental and emotional release for a young strong body.

I've watched my father continue to migrate from hobby to hobby to hobby as old age limits his physical capabilities. Not saying you're old. But the parallel here is he continues to keep his mind and body active by migrating into new activities that he finds satisfying, yet still capable of participating in. He's 89 now. His primary hobby at this point is target shooting with a compound bow. He's set the current record score in the over 85 years old age group in the U.S. He still plays softball. Had to give up golf due to a sore aching shoulder. Your limitations are probably not physical, but rather due to the nature of your location and combat duty. Try to figure out something interesting and give it a try...

Appreciate your sacrifice for our country. Hope you figure something out to keep your mind and body active, alert, and healthy. Best regards and wishes for safe travels and a safe return when your combat duty winds down.

Paul

Dave

Your board? There were some cats over behind the theather Bacon and I messed with back in 04 there kids should be there now good hunting. I'm glad you did not talk me into that job. Have you been getting out of the wire much?

Go to the gym and dry fire 8 hours a day you need the practice for deer when you get back here. I got a 264 win mag in the works we have to try out.

Oh and send me you address I will find you some new reading materials make you as smart as me:D and I promis no box of trash this time.

Astan ant Iraq is it dave:cool:

Jon

Good luck to you over there brother and keep your head down. Post your apo and see the good stuff all of us will send you to keep you busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOD civilian?
I'd be one bowed up dude if I had a lot of down time on deployments. Not much to do but workout...if you're on a post with a gym. On a deployment I was on a few years ago I had my wife send me a cheap colapsable fishing pole and I would go over to a little pond (I think it was a pond, really no telling) and cast a rooster tail for a while. Never caught anything, but kinda put me at easy for a bit.

I did almost 15 months in the combat zone in another time frame. So listen up as we both have been thru this game plane (or are going thru it).

* Never get bored!! AS IN NEVER!! When you get bored you loose the edge. Even if you gotta fill sandbags; keep your mind working at 110%.

* Learn to write a journal. It's well worth the time, and you'll enjoy it thirty years from now.

* No matter how well you keep your gear, you can make it better. Might be a life save next week.

Sad thing is that you guys are treated like high school kids over there with restriction after restriction. We did parties, and simply raised a lot of hell during slow times. Played music till dawn every night. Course we had beer! But there wasn't a female within forty klicks of my base camp! Developed the art of bar room brawling, and the first shirt loved it! But alas they took that away from us when we completely destroyed the batallion beer hall in about thirty minutes. After that my company was banned from going back to the rear to unwind.

It's time to submit a memborship in the VFW (if you need some help, email me). This will help you when you get outta that place, and kinda give you a heads up. Just remember you got the rest of your life ahead of you. My email address is always open to you
gary

Thanks for the kind words, My third tour in this war.

I think a large majority of us here know what your going through. I was there in 09 on my second tour and it does get routine. If your willing to post your APO I'm sure I can afford to send you some Precision Shooting magazines and such. I always feel like I should return the favor for all those people that sent me a crap ton of stuff in the mail. Besides nothing better than receiving an unexpected package in the mail. It always seemed to brighten my day. I promise I wont send romance novels, or crap books.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.