Bore cleaning recipies?

G

any of you guys have a home brewed bore cleaner that you might like to share , I was looking through my cleaning box at all the differant ones I have and wondered if I could make a better one of perhaps a mix of two?

My buddy is a competitive rifle shooter. He swears by a solution of Marvel Mystery Oil and GM Top Engine Cleaner. It is a lot less expensive than any commericial bore cleaners.

I have used it on my shotguns and it seems to work well.

For whatever reason, I still use Shooters Choice/Kroil in all my rifles. Never had a problem with this stuff either.

VH

If you look at the ingredients of gm top engine cleaner & butchs bore shine they are the same. For 16 ounces the gm stuff is about 10$ cheaper

I haven't checked the lables myself, but was told by a gunsmith that gunscrubber and carburator cleaner was the same but there's not that big of a price difference.
Bryan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This isn't really a home recipe. I used to think my bore was clean after using Butch's and other solvents. Read about Wipeout and decided to try it. Found out there was some copper fouling still left in the barrel (personal experience may vary).
All I use is a nylon brush to loosen up hard fouling if needed, then a jag and patch combo.
Wipeout Link

There is another bore foam that is supposed to work well but can't remember the name.

If you can get locally Coppermelt is the the least labor intensive product I have used. Expensive ! yes but best for copper removal. next best is a product called wipe out, an aerisol that is an enzime like coppermelt.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.