Bone Out field Dressing

Nvhunter

Ok, I'm taking two new guys hunting with me this year. We will be backpacking in approx 6 miles, high camping at 9000+ feet and hunting wherever the deer decide to be.

I would like these two "new to the west" hunters I am taking along to be familiar with field dressing and boning out a Mulie. Got to fit the harvest in backpacks and pack them down the mountain. Can any of you recommend a Internet available video these guys can watch. Don't have time to purchase a video for them right now, so a you tube type presentation would be best.

Thanks.

I helped out in a slaughterhouse when I was in high school that processed wild game also. The owner taught me something that at the time a really didn't realize, that basically all four legged animals have basically the same muscle, joint, bone structure. If you can dress/de=bone a whitetail, squirrel, cow, pig, rabbit, elk, any four legged animal, you can dress a Muley. Its all the same for the most part, I wouldn't stress about it. If they have never dressed/de-boned an animal before then I'm sure I can find some info for them, give me a second.

The only thing that this illustration is missing is the tenderloin which is inside of the cavity on the spine and the ribs. So they should be able to go from here.

deer_muscle_pix.gif

Dixie,

Thanks for the post. I'll forward it onto the new guys. No time to train em now. Hunt starts Monday. Guess they will have to learn first hand on the deer without prior presentation.

Feenix,
great video and pictures for game processing.
In regards to the video, would just have to coment that is better to free the anus at last before you pull, because if you do it first you would transport with your knife all the bacteria of the anus, from the anus to the rest of your deer. After you gut it, free the anus as it is showed, take out the bladder, and then change gloves and knive or wash the knife before you process the meat.

Feenix,
great video and pictures for game processing.
In regards to the video, would just have to coment that is better to free the anus at last before you pull, because if you do it first you would transport with your knife all the bacteria of the anus, from the anus to the rest of your deer. After you gut it, free the anus as it is showed, take out the bladder, and then change gloves and knive or wash the knife before you process the meat.

Agree! Personally, I split the the pelvic then cut around the anus. Anus never touch the inside cavity when I pull the guts out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.