bolt sticking

alright thanks guys ill have a gun smith check it out if its something big ill send the rifle to remington so they can deal with it

kidder,
Have your smith check the "timing" of the bolt. I had the exact problem on my 700 that just got worse the more I shot it. It has to do with the ramp on back of your reciever. My smith did a little welding and good as new.

Heed WildRose's advice. Pressure is a bad ju-ju and a sticky bolt is usually a good sign it's getting up there. I would run it into my local gunsmith explain what's happening and have him evaluate the rifle. If it's something simple have him repair it. Anything beyond that send the rifle back to Rem.
I've had the sad experience of seeing a couple of rifles and even an M2 blow up over headspace/pressure issues.

It's damned ugly.

Sorry about my reply kidder, I was thinking that your bolt was just sticky once you extracted the round from the chamber. I have had spilled pop on one a few years ago from my kid and it did indeed get sticky.

Kidder

just my thinking but after your smith inspects I would take it and note from your smith to the store you got it from. They should back up their sales and make it right with you. Myself if I sold it to you and it was indeed defective I would replace it and deal with Remington, you shouldn't have to.

also this just came to mind do you think maybe its the ammo cause i do recall it would operate on some shells.

also this just came to mind do you think maybe its the ammo cause i do recall it would operate on some shells.
Extremely doubtful. You would in all likelihood easily observe (before loading them) damage to the base or rim if it where there or if some of them are markedly thicker based.

This is a problem some of us have seen before. Trust us, do not shoot the gun again. Get it to a gunsmith, the store you bought it from, or back to Remington. Your eyes, face, fingers and life are not less valuable than the inconvenience of doing what has been suggested to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.