Bolt shearing

WildWillie

I was just practicing with my Tac15i and noticed the left hand hex bolt head was loose. I tried to tighten it and noticed that it had sheared off at the threads. Has this happened to anyone else ?

I've put about 150 shots through this x-bow so far. There are bolts on both sides of the receiver, just behind the crank nut. They hold the string bail inside the receiver. Just the left on sheared, the right seems OK.

I will phone PSE in the morning in the hopes they can ship me some replacement ones this week.

Edit: Had to take the tac 15i to my local dealer. PSE is replacing the whole upper part. Unfortunatly I will be down for a week for the turnaround.

WildWillie

Last edited:
Well I had to take the x-bow to a local dealer for them to repair. PSE shipped a whole new upper piece and the shop replaced it. So far the new one is working just fine. Took 1 week for the repair though.

WildWillie

The 2 hex bolts that run through the cocking spool are installed with thread lock to keep them from backing out. A couple of our customers have had them back out anyway and then either shear off or damage the ball-bearing housing.

If any of you ever notice either of those 2 bolts are loose, back it all the way out and make sure it isn't damaged. Also inspect the ball-bearing housing (the silver doughnut that the bolt runs through) to make sure it hasn't cracked. If everything looks ok, re-install the bolt with some thread lock. Use 2 hex wrenches, one on each side, to tighten against each other.

If the bolt or the housing are damaged, get your bow serviced.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.