Bolt problem

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by HTG, Aug 30, 2009.

1. HTG

HTG Well-Known Member

I was getting my 300 mag tuned up and after cleaning it I thought it would be a good Idea to put a dab of super glue on a few of the screws and that was not a good idea. I got some super glue on the the little trigger button that holds the bolt in. Its the button that if you press the trigger it allows the bolt to come off. Now that little button won't come up and the screw that holds the barrel on the stock near the little button is stripped. Does anyone know any other way to get that little button up or will I have to find a way to take the barrel off?

2. HTG

HTG Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out if I can even get to that trigger button that holds the bolt in the action if I take the action off the stock? Does anyone know if its in the barrel or if I can get to it? If the screw wasn't stripped I could check but I think I'm going to have to buy a screw extactor kit. Its on a 1992 Weatherby Mark V wood stock.

3. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

Try finger nail polish to free up the super glue.

Brent

4. grinnergetter

grinnergetter Well-Known Member

Go to hardware store(preferably Ace) and buy super glue remover, Should be right next to super glue. At least it is in my store.:)

5. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

I think he means "Fingernail Polish" REMOVER?
    Dave

6. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

Acetone is the ingredient I think you are looking for. It may be harmful to the plastic stock finish but it is the active ingredient in finger nail polish remover. You can get it at the hardware store and apply it with Q-tips or turkey baster.

I would take the barreled action off. I would try to drill off the screw heads or use my Dremmel tool.

Lock tite is my preferred thread locker.

Good Luck !!

just my .02

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  7. HTG

HTG Well-Known Member

Finally got it, had to take the barrel off. Gasoline also helped get the glue off. This gunsmithing isn't as hard as I thought it was. Thanks for the tips.