bolt polishing

harleybug

I bought a used Remington 700 in 7mag and the bolt has some light marks and some grease stains. I want to clean it up so I was going to use some oil and 500 grit sand paper followed by some 1200. I want to make sure this is a safe method of removing the stains. I know I will be removing just a little but wanted to check with u guys first.

0000 steel wool and a light oil will take off the grease stains and any slight rust no problem, i dont know about the marks though.

With jeweling. I would have to polish it first anyways

You don't have to because the jewelling process is actually a polishing process and makes circular marks instead if radial or horizontal improving the ability to hold a light film of oil.

You can polish (I use a buffing wheel To minimize the surface removal of to much material) before you Jewell if the surface is bad Or coated with the black "Paint".

Polishing is ok as long as sandpaper or wire brushes are not used.

J E CUSTOM

Even with a 500 to 1200 grit sand paper.

I don't recommend it because you don't want to remove any of the bolt material.

Polishing or jewelling will only remove the stain , not enough bolt material to even measure.
For accuracy you want the bolt as tight as you can have it and it still works.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.