Bolt face open up

Tim,
I went from a 30 06 to a 270wsm case. The magazine follower did not allow the new case to feed properly. In fact the magazine would jump and scramble the live rounds. It also needed a mag ramp in place. Now it works correctly.

M700 bolt face can be enlarged to your size with a Sako extractor. Mine works exactly as intended. but the rails are another story along with the follower. The point is be sure of the expenses that you can incur incrementally they add up. You might just be getting a rifle already built but needing tweeking with a pillar/glass bedding, timmey trigger, truing the bolt. Depends on what your want to spend.
Good Luck

Here is an Idea of what the PTG looks like in 338 Norma. Comes with the extractor installed. As for prints of the cartridge I dont have any but depending on what you are lookinng for it's a shortened Lapua with minimum body taper set up to run a 300 smk with an OAL of 3.602 Mine runs 12 off at 3.592.

IMG_0421.jpg

Good,

I just read that your building a 338 Norma Mag. Also as you stated this is based off of the 416 Rigby case. Here is where it's nice to have all the facts first. In your case now, I would not advocate using a sako extractor let alone even a Remington action. The bolt diameter is too small for this large of a case head. I would recommend you look into getting a complete custom action such as the Stiller TAC 338 that has the .750" diameter bolt and is designed for these larger cases.

You know I've been sitting here typing for an hour my response about the safety issue of a sako extractor, and how I've never had one failure in over over 20 years. But then it finally dawned on me, I've got better **** to do than argue over a sako extractor. I've got 6 Remington bolts being fitted with sako extractors right now in the shop to do.

What was the reasoning the extractors blew out in these two cases? Sounds like some crazy pressure to blow out a sako extractor.

I'm seeing two reasons this would happen...faulty smithwork or insane pressure...neither which should be blamed on the extractor.

JMHO.
JUDD

Call PT&G and have then e-mail you a reamer print, I have the 338 Norma print sitting in front of me right now. Also look at Grizzly for the reamer and head space gauge, save some $.

I seem to remember an article on here about opening up the Weatherby MK5 boltface how big a job is this ? I currently have +/- .485 at the moment looking to open it up to accept the 300 winmag. I would be grateful for any opinions guys.

Long story short it is currently chambered for 243 and doesn't feed more than one round, second one diving to one side of the bore. I bought it as something a bit different (I am a lefty)and was told it would be fine. The transaction was done over the phone/web and once I raised the issue with the gun shop they ran a mile. Right now I believe that swapping it back to a long action cartridge will solve the issue?? I have a 30 cal barrel I can get chambered.
Opinions fellas ??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.