bolt face lathe cutter?

eddybo

Could someone post a picture of the cutting tool they are using to true the boltface on 223 actions? I am kind of new to this and bushed the firing pins on a couple of magnum boltface actions this week without a hitch, but this 223 is driving me nuts. I cant get a cut from the edge to center without hitting one side or the other of the bolt nose.

Eddybo , I use a realy small boring bar and grind the back side down to make more narrow , then sharpen it razor sharp and take fine cuts.

I'll check my box and see if I have an extra to mail ya , I still have to run up to Don's and drop off those inserts

Kennametal manufactures a "micro" size boring bar. It's around 3/16" od with a small cutting surface. The reach is quite shallow making for a very rigid set up. It's solid carbide and ground sharp. This tool also works very well for crowning.

Don't have a photo, but if you just call a local vendor they should be able to set you up.

I finally got it faced off where it looks okay....but ended up going deeper than planned like. 022. I decided not to fix the headspace but rather to shorten the firing pin protrusion and fireform my brass to the chamber.

Just be sure to seat your bullets out so they jam in the lands real good when fireforming. This is so the case head is seated against the bolt to minimize stretching in the web area.

Good luck.

C

Thanks for the reminder. I made sure that I did just that.......just like I do for the PPC and all my AIs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.