bolt face erosion??

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Frogman77, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Frogman77

Frogman77 Well-Known Member

is the narrow dark ring around the firing pin hole considered bolt face erosion? Is this from leaking primers? or is this normal after firing? This isn't my bolt, I found this pic on another forum.

[​IMG]

2. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

From leaking primers, but does not affect its functioning. Check out all the soot residue around the bolt face. Needs a good cleaning.

3. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Pretty nasty looking if you ask me.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

If it is actually a groove It is from a continued diet of hot loads and/or loose primer
    pockets.( very bad ).

By the looks of the bolt, cleaning is in order and then inspection. It might be primer seal
    from shooting military ammo that has built up over time due to improper cleaning.

If it is just a build up of the primer seal (It's like fingernail polish) then it just needs cleaning

If it is erosion it has gone to far and should be replaced because of continued overpressure
    loads that could have over stressed the bolt. This condition is NOT normal and should be
    stopped for safety purposes.

J E CUSTOM

5. Frogman77

Frogman77 Well-Known Member

thanks guys,

I'm getting a similar ring around my firing pin hole, but it comes off with cleaning. My pockets are still tight when seating primers. someone suggested I try a primer pocket uniformer to improve the seal. I'm gonna give that a go and work my load up again. No other pressure signs at this time.