Bolt body reamers?

257speed

Kirby, Chris, anyone, I was looking at bolt body reamers for sleeving bolts. Seems they are made by a number of folks, Manson, PPG, and Gre-tan. What are the pros cons of the diff makers? The purpose of the post is not whether or not one should sleeve, just which type you guys are using. Thanks

257 Speed,

Are you asking about receiver bolt way reamers or "bolt body reamers"?

I think Chris, Shawn and myself all use Gre-Tan accurizing processes with his receiver reaming mandrals if this is what you are asking? If so let us know and we can offer you our opinions on the topic.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, that is correct, for truing up the bolt way through the action for use with a sleeved bolt. I have been truing actions for a while, but have never sleeved the bolts on any

i was wondering how did you dial your action in to blue print it with out the race way cutter to put your gages on. i also use the gre-tan tooling

Not to sure about this felloow but I know that their are some differant indicating rods offered for the .700 raceway actions but from what i have seen with them you end up having to cut alot more meat off the front of the action and the lug seats to get them square and the indicating rods rarely fit well enough to get the action dialed in well and accurate
Not to highjack the thread but what size reamer do you guys use to ream the bolt raceway when you true an action? .705 , .710 , .715 ? I have seen the Manson reamers in Brownells and they are .715 and that seemed a little big to me

i have done alot of 700 actions and the 0.705 reamer has worked on all of them. i have heard that some people have got some actions that the 0.705 would not clean up but i have not seen one yet. gre-tan will make a reamer bigger if thats what you want. im not sure but i think i payed $650.00 for the race way cutter and bushings.

JDJones,

I use a 705 reamer and have yet to need larger then that for a Rem 700. I know there are some out there that are larger but I have not reamed one yet.

I also use either Greg Tannels bushings in 0.0005" increments or make my own for a quality fit. It is really easy to make a bushing with old barrel steel. I prefer 4140 or 4130 as its harder then stainless.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.