blueprinting ?s

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jones, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jones

jones Well-Known Member

hey guys

ive got a couple questions about doing some work to a factory Weatherby rifle. will i need to have the action blueprinted if im not planning on putting a new barrel on it. also is it better to bed the rifle or piller bed it, or would both work better. thanks for your time and responses.

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Pillar and bed it. That gives the best support to the action.

I wouldn't true the action unless you are going to replace the barrel.

3. Gunpoor

Gunpoor Well-Known Member

If it were my rifle I would bed the action and the recoil lug and maybe the first couple inches of barrel and free-float the barrel the rest of the way. I don't see any need for installing bedding pillars because the barrel and action will have a solid match-up after using bedding compound, and solid is solid as there is no in-between. Good luck

4. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

My experience is limited to the Vanguard, I did both pillars and bedding. The reason being is how small the area is at the tang screw area, I felt that it would be good to use pillars to support the torque of the action screws since the bedding was such a small area at the back.

5. jones

jones Well-Known Member

sounds like a plan thanks for your help guys

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

+1

I do a lot of Weatherby Mark 5s and hey seem to do there best if they are full pillar bedded.

What you want is to have the bottom metal in contact with the pillars and the pillar in contact
    with the action and recoil lug with bedding compound filling every contact point between the
    stock and the action.

Do not leave a gap between the bottom of the recoil lug and the stock .after fitting the pillars
    where they are metal to metal, fill the recoil lug with bedding compound and force any excess
    Out by clamping.

J E CUSTOM