Blueprint Ruger Action

bullfrog

Are there any accuracy gunsmiths out there who will completely blueprint a Ruger M77 MKII action (face, threads, receiver lugs, and bolt lugs)? I have several I would like to turn into custom rigs.

Are there any accuracy gunsmiths out there who will completely blueprint a Ruger M77 MKII action (face, threads, receiver lugs, and bolt lugs)? I have several I would like to turn into custom rigs.

One of the reasons you wont find many GS doing full BP on Rugers is the required tooling to set up that particular action for remachining of the threads, Round recievers all work in the same fixture and the ruger with its shape and the trigger hanger require a different fixture. The fixture could take a smith easily over 8 hours to build and for the 1 or 2 guys who ask for this service it's just not worth it.

With that being said I have skim cut the reciever face and lapped the lugs on a few ruger builds and they all shot under 1/2moa with the respective customers handloads.
two bigger areas for concern with the rugers would be properly bedding and getting the factory rings to mount a scope stress free.

Might want to ask your smith if it needs anymore than lapping and face truing. There are good ones and not so good ones. I have concerns about tight clearances on a hunting rifle and feel that bushings and over size bolts are better left to the target shooter. The largest concern with them is still as stated earlier mounting the scope - sometimes you get lucky sometimes you get costly

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts