Blued vs SS, Tikka T3

Kvux

Looking for an accurate .308 under 1k and deciced on the Tikka T3 Lite.
It comes in either blued (blk) barrel or Stainless Steel barrel. Is there a difference in performance or quality btwn the two, or just pesonal preferance?

Looking for an accurate .308 under 1k and deciced on the Tikka T3 Lite.
It comes in either blued (blk) barrel or Stainless Steel barrel. Is there a difference in performance or quality btwn the two, or just pesonal preferance?

When the SS Barrels first came out they had difficulty producing barrels as good as Chrome Moly
barrels. Now they are just as accurate and have a slight advantage in barrel life. (The Stainless is
more wear resistant) . The other big advantage to stainless is it resistance to corrosion/rust. A chrome moly barrel needs to be cleaned soon after it is shot and also after it gets wet (Bad weather).

The stainless will still corrode/rust if neglected but it takes a lot longer.

In other words a stainless barrel is easier to maintain and last longer.

As far as accuracy ,there is no difference if both barrels are the same quality.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom offers good advice. I no longer build rifles with anything but SS barrels.
Only advice I can offer is that you run a bore scope down the barrel when you get it to make sure there's not blemishes.
Stainless is a bit more difficult to machine and, sometimes, I've found a few blemishes (usually in the grooves) in finished rifles. It hasn't been a problem with performance but it does leave one with something to consider when deciding whether or not to accept delivery.
Tikka is good stuff. Enjoy that new rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.