Blooded the 338 Lapua

How about for your own satifaction, of being able to get everything right and make the kill ? sounds to me like anti longrange hunters.

Since when do we feel the authority to come on a guys personal hunting report thread, pick it apart looking for something we don't agree with, or is different than "how we do it" or should I say "how we would do it, if we did do it" and then call him out by asking him all these "why" questions?

He hunted the way he wanted to, he was successful and knew his equipment well and made the shots and dispatched the game.

If you don't agree with something then please be polite enough to just not agree and say nothing. If you feel strongly enough about a method used then start your own thread and argue, debate and ridicule there.

For heavens sake guys, this is Long Range Hunting. I think some people really need to look into other places to complain. Or maybe look into golf or tennis.

JMHO!

To the OP, glad you had a successful hunt and the team effort of your equipment and your shooter skill worked well.

Congrats and good shooting.

Jeff

I have to say, you are right. My apologies to the OP. I may not agree completely with his way of thinking. But, I should not have been the way I was in this particular thread.

As far a golf and tennis go, pfft no thanks.:D

Last edited:
How about for your own satifaction, of being able to get everything right and make the kill ? sounds to me like anti longrange hunters.

You couldn't be more wrong about the anti-long range hunter/hunting part. I enjoy it just as much as anyone. I am not sure where a few of you even got that thought. Obviously, I was not making myself very clear.

Last edited:
I asked a simple question which I didn't feel was inappropriate. If you post something you should be responsible for it. I didn't know we had to praise every post because we are here to stroke each other. I didn't say he was unethical, I didn't say he was irresponsible, I didn't say long range hunting is bad. All I did was ask why let a long range shot get longer? I don't get that mentality. In closing you made an amazing shot, your equipment is top tier, what an amazing show of skill and preperation. If that shot had been 498 vs the 528 or whatever it was it would have been an amateur shot and I completely understand why you let it get out further and yada yada stroke stroke... It seemed like nobody understood the question. I thought we where here to learn how to ethically take animals at long range when presented the situation not just see how far out we could shoot stuff. I have read many post about people moving closer some by Len himself, when he was in a shoot able range because he thought he could get closer. I'm not saying that is always what I do. There have been times when I probably could have moved closer but I felt confident in where I was so I didn't move. My only issue or question was why let it walk away to get farther away? To let it walk until it presented a better shot angle sure makes perfect sense. I'm really surprised that thîs didn't bother more people. I guess we are here to just see how far away we can shoot stuff and not take the best most ethical shot presented

Actually, as stated in the forum rules "ethics" are not to be discussed. No, we are not here to "stroke each other" but you have a choice to tarnish a guys thread or not. You also have the choice to start a thread of your own to discuss a method you do not care for and debate it there.

Since we have already posted all the BS in the OP's thread, lets look at the original post from what I seen as a Long Range Hunter. First thing I noticed about the thread was the shooter was well inside his comfort zone for clean kills. He cares about clean kills because he stated with his first kill he used a follow up shot to end any suffering. The deer was down, It has a 338 hole through it and he didn't have to do this. He did it to quickly end any suffering. That is proof he wanted the animal dead quick and he cares. Not he was taking a risk with a longer shot. Every shot was a hit in the vital zone, even the follow up. Again, the conditions were good and he was well within his zone. If he choose to let them get out a little farther that is his choice. Just like the posters that decided to read something else into it of a negative nature. You can sugar coat it now but the posts read and sounded as a negative nature.

The OP told of his hunt. He was very informative and told of each bullets placement and damage. It was a good report with things many can learn from. I like reading these exact stories of hunting. That is why I read them. Others must too, or is it to look for a flaw? How many other hunters will not post their results and stories when they see they may be interrogated, or grilled on minor things?

I hope Len gets on here and cleans this thread up for the OP. That includes my posts. And also reminds some of one of the best rules of this great forum. NO ETHICS DISCUSSIONS.

Jeff

It was a question and yes it wasn't something I feel the same on. I apologize to the op for pooping on his thread as I said before it was good shooting. I agree he was well inside is comfort zone. The concept was all and it really was just a question I wasn't trying to crucify him or anything. Congrats on the successful hunt. Merry Christmas everybody.

That's kind of what I was asking and just because I don't agree with how you get there doesn't make it right or wrong. I meant it as a discussion not an attack on the guy. Maybe I will take Broz advice and ask the question as my own thread. The op made good clean shots on his animals and the shots themselves were good and he obviously knew what he was doing.

It's called "trolling"........ and I'm sure pyro is well aware of that

I'm not sure what trolling is nor have I been accused of it before. Im going to get off this guys thread all together now. Good luck in securing permission to hunt your neighbors land and keep up the good shooting I really didnt have any issue with your longrange shooting ability the shots themselves or any other anti longrange hunting comments that people made.

Two things I think are causing the cofusion in his thread.
#1 Tennessee has 4 gazillion deer. They are considered varmints. So its kindalike a prairie dog there. I shot control for farmers for years and it just breeds a different mindset, all anyone really wants is one less mouth to feed no matter how that is acheived.
#2 its a 338 fr gods sake. I set up for stupid distances all the time. Would I let a deer walk 2 yds to make it another 1k kill instead of 998. Yep. Absolutely no difference in any effect from 998 to 1000. Someone said that the SHOT IS THE TROPHY....WHEN YOURE VARMINT SHOOTING IT IS. And in TN they are destructive pests which comes about from too few doe tags.
The ethics of it change when they are overpopulated.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.