BLC-2 and 22-250 help?

Waffen

I picked up a lb of Hodgdon BLC-2 to try in my 22-250 as I have had less than expected group size with my CZ. I was looking through the manuals and did not see many loads that used BLC-2. I was wondering if anyone had used it with 40-55gr bullets with any success?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Waffen,

I believe that BL-C2 is a decent powder for the 50 & 55 grain pills, although I haven't found a load using it for any 40 grain bullets. An accuracy minded friend of mine swore by this powder in his custom .22-250 (52 grain sierras), but this was in the late 80's. I'd say try it out and see how it works, it should be capable of decent performance. If you don't get the results you're looking for, give either Varget or H380 a try. Good luck.

One mans opinion,
Carl

I never had any great luck with BLC-2 in my 22.250 either.
Had the best groups and velocity spreads with VihtaVouri N-130, N-133 and H-380. Varget was also a decent powder in my stick but the others were better.

try some H380

I used it in my savage 22-250 and was able to shot well under .5 groups with the bullets seated close to the lands.
I used a 55gr ballistic tip with 39.5gr of H380.
This combo killed nearly 100pdogs of a 9 month stretch and even reached out to 730yds a few times.

good luck
steve

I have tried about all the powders yall have reccomended. So far I have tried

H-380
Varget
Benchmark
Win 760
IMR 4350
IMR 4320
IMR 4064

I am just trying to find a powder that yeilds the results I am looking for.

Waffen,

Sounds like you've tried alot of pretty good choices already. Is this a stock CZ? Curious just what kind of results your looking for.

Carl

The CZ is stock. It's the Varmint Laminated. I have mounted a 8-32x44 Burris Sig Select and have worked the trigger down to about 1lb.

The best 5 shot group I have shot to date can be covered by a nickle, but thoes groups are not consistant. It seems to like to throw 2 shots together and then throw another two that touch, but an inch appart.

I have checked to see that the rifle is fully free floated. I obviously wait for the barrel to cool to ambient temp levels.

I have also tried about every bullet out there, even some bergers which I thought would do the job.

Waffen, I have the exact same rifle. When mine showed up, the barrel was bottoming out on the stock. I sanded out the channel slightly just to get it fully floated. Doesn't seem like you have this problem. I then bedded it myself using MarineTex. This improved my groups slightly, but not enough to say WOW!

I tried all the fancy polymer tipped bullets and match bullets with this thing and they all shot pretty well. However the ones that really shined were the cheap-*** 50gr Sierra Spitzers (lead tipped). These things are consistent as hell in my rifle with my best 5 shot group measuring 0.228". Average stays in the high 3's. This bullet with 35gr of Varget, Winchester LR primers and seated .010" off the lands works best for me.

Yes I see a gun smith in my near future too. I don't trust myself to actually bed this rifle. I have never done it before, although I am sure it's easy. I think it would alwasys be in the back of my head that I caused it with a bad bed job if it didn't shoot any better.

If this does not work I may just send it to Shilen and have it rebarreled with a 28' Stainless Match barrel. I have a buddy with the exact same rifle, that is doing the same thing. I know it's not technique either, because he flat out owns my reloading setup, and my skills.

craigp40: What is your O.A.L on your loads? I have seated all the way out to 2.40 and that was not close to the lands.

The best load for me so far has been:
50gr Hornady Molly V-Max
41gr Winchester 760
W-W Brass
Fed210M Primers
2.380 OAL

Hey waffin if your going to change the BBL Have them chamber it for 22-250AI I get 200to300more FPS than the standard. So far WW-760 and IMR 4320 have been killer powders. Blew a big chunk out of a Coyote with a 52gr A-Max. Dead before she hit the ground. Oh and go for a 1in 12 twist.No case stretching either.4,000 with a 55gr pill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well I am going to be shooting BLC-2 tommorow with 3 different kinds of bullets. Hopefully it will work as expected. I am also trying the new Reloader 10x. I will try to give a full range report when I get back.

Well guys I have found a load that shoots pretty darn well. It seems this new Reloader 10x is THE powder for 22-250. Basically no matter what bullet I shoot with it, it is more accurate than any other powder I have tried. The best load I have so far is:

52gr Sierra Matchking
32gr Reloader 10x
Winchester Cases
Fed210M Primers
2.40 O.A.L

This was consistantly 1/2 or lower groups.

I have loaded up some more Matchkings with this load, varrying charges by .3 grains each time. I will get back with you about the results.

I did take this to 200 and shoot. It resulted in about 1.5-2.0 inch groups with horizontal stringing. I think the groups can be improved because the targets I was shooting at had a 3 inch X ring which certianly hindered my ability to hold in the same place.

Unfortunatly too, since daylight savings I was not able to crank the scope up to 32 power and really see what I was doing. It got dark around 5:15 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

On a side note, I was able to push the Speer 50gr TNT bullets at 3650-3680 without one comming appart. I was suprised at that myself.

Pick up some Hornady 50 grain SPSX's part number 2240. I know they cost a little over 5 bucks a box for 100 bullets but believe me, they are worth it. They incorporate all the latest accuracy tricks in the book. They have exposed lead tips and real copper jackets with the all-important flat base design. I have shot them over 3800 fps with no trouble with them coming apart. They are by far the most accurate bullet tried in my rifle and is my, go to, bullet for any 22-250 that won't shoot. They light up ground squirrels better than any other bullet we have tried to date. In 6 different Rugers and a Remington this load goes sub 1/2 inch for 5 shots every time.

I have tried all the off the shelf bullets out there. For a seating depth, seat one long and then force the bolt shut on it and then set your seater up on that one and then twist the seater stem in 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn.

My secret load is 39 grains of H-380 in Remington brass lit off with a CCI-250 primer on totally non prepped brass other than neck sized only with a Lee Collet die. In my rifle it shoots the same groups size from 37 to 42 grains but settled on 39 grains as they are still okay to shoot when I accidentally leave my ammo on the dash and it gets to hot to hold. I then prime the cases with my Lee Auto Prime tool 50 at a time. I also don't weigh powder charges once the measure will throw 10 charges into one pan that weighs exactly 390 grains. Then I throw 50 charges in a row before I move to seating bullets.

Using this painstaking process I can load 50 rounds in about 30 minutes on my RCBS single stage press start to finish. I never trim my brass and prefer to just throw them away when they start splitting necks. Some brass has gone 20 times and some like my current batch are splitting on the first go round. I want to try Winchester brass next time.

These carefully crafted loads will shoot .1 to .3 max in my factory untouched Ruger Varminter. It is religiously cleaned once or twice a year whether it needs it or not. It really depends on if it got wet or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.