Blackhills 308 175

Buffalobob

I was shooting F-class today and three different shooters had problems with Blackhills 308 ammo going subsonic at ranges of 800 yards and beyond. Bullets were keyholing and flying all over the place. The one shooter who I shoot with regularly was given some handloaded 308 175 SMKs and his rifle immediately did just fine. It was not the rifle.

One rifle was a 20 inch barrel that had trouble beginning at 900 yards.

The other shooter I did not pay attention to being as the nasty 10-20 mph wind was giving me all the grief I could handle at 1K.

The boxes were kind of red/brown. Temperatures ranged from 45-55 F but at least 10 mph headwinds.

I do not know any more than I have said but you might want to be aware if things go bad for your 308 at long range if your ammo is Blackhills. I am no expert on factory ammo and most of us shooting today were just amateurs who enjoy being out and shooting.

A new piece of information is that the barometric pressure was really high and Quantico is essentially sea level to begin with. So coupled with head winds and short barrels the BH ammo just couldn't get there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.