Black Stainless

topbrass

What solution or process is used to blacken/blue stainless steel?

I have seen black stainless guns/barrels/parts. Not sure if they are plated or chemically finished.

Thanks!

Just a note of caution. If you decide to have the stainless blackened make sure they plug the bore ends correctly. I sent a brand new Kreiger barrel out to a place (won't mention names as that's illegal here to say anything bad about someone) to have them blacken the stainless. They plugged the bore with corks, which didn't hold and the bore got blackened also. This is OK for blueing a chrome moly barrel but from what I read and was told later the blackening of stainless creates pits and oxidation unevenly inside the bore. It's only small amounts but with a precision bore it was enough to junk the barrel. Using factory 308 Remington ammo I couldn't fire more than 5 rounds and the bolt would get stiff and I'd get a little gas blow back. I cleaned the barrel and after the second time it did this for me I ran the bore scope in the see what was going on. There was a black build up along the inside corners of the rifling that after a few rounds would restrict the bore to the point of it being dangerous. I sent the barrel back to who blackened the stainless and was told there was no problem with it. I then sent it to another company that blackened stainless and was told the bore was not sealed off and how the blackening effects the inside of a barrel and that this barrel was pretty much junk. To seal the barrel there needs to be some what of a clamp style seal on each end. As the barrel gets heated up in the tank the bore gets under pressure, with just corks they blow off and the seal is broken. I questioned the original company and they said it was sealed off with corks. They wouldn't replace the barrel or refund my money. So I informed my customer and he purchased a new barrel and I ate a chamber job. This time we just duracoated the barrel matte black. I'll never blacken another stainless barrel again duracoat, cerakote or some sort is what I'd suggest to do.

They are both really good, I've done several in Duracoat and only a handful in Cerakote. I think mostly the cost difference between the two. They claim the Cerakkote is harder but if you run your barrel across a rock either one will scratch the barrel.

Duracoat or cerakote which do you like best?

You may want to consider Norrel's moly resin. It goes on thinner and looks a little
more like bluing in my opinion. I don't have any experience with the other two as
far as toughness but have used molyresin on several projects and it is tough. Does
not flake or peal and if you scratch it it does not look like a paint scratch.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.