Black Gun Purchase

Varmint Hunter

I've been looking for a Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit for awhile. I'm not sure what I'll do with it but figured that I needed one anyway. The Obama administration will probably have black guns banned before long so I intensified my search.

Walked into my local dealer yesterday and he was just taking a RRA Varmint model w/24" heavy barrel out of the box for display. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but black guns are hard to find and are being scalped all over the place. I had him put it back in the box and I took it home.

If I decide to shoot it any time soon, is it necessary to completely disassemble the rifle so that it can be cleaned and lubed before initial firing?

I'll probably pick up a few magazines for the RRA. Many different manufacturers make magazines for the ARs and I'm sure that the quality varies. Any suggestions on quality magazines?

Last edited:
I'm "building" one right now. I picked up a RRA stripped lower, and am adding parts to it. I plan on buying the RRA Predator Pursuit upper, assuming I can actually find one.

As for magazines, the Magpul PMAG seems the way to go. They are virtually indestructible and cost around $14-16 a piece for the 30 round variety. Right now, you can find the 30 round mags for sale at various places. Go to ar15.com, and under the ar-15/fourum, there are threads on magazines and where they have stock. I have heard that the 20 round magazines will be back in stock shortly. Here is a link via ar-15 (AR 15/M16 magazine PMAG 30 Round).

Let us know how your rifle shoots!

YES you need to stip the upper and clean and lube it before you shoot it. If you dont know how you can look on Youtube there will be instruction there.

Dont know your intended pourpose of the rifle but 20rd mags are my favorite when shooting from the prone. You are down state from me and if you cant find a mag send me a PM and I will hook you up for cheep. MAGS are veary important get a bad one and your rifle wont feed well hold the mag wile your shooting and your rifle wont feed well. Have one with a bad fowler and your rifle wont feed well get the point.

PMAGS are the lates and greatest thing but there hard to find because there cheep and good.

I see what you mean about the Magpul PMAG 20. Backorders are 2-3 months. I also saw a sight that indicated that magazines with a capacity of more than 10rnds were not legal in NY. I thought that law sunsetted out long ago.

Anyone know? I'm not interested in wrestling with the Feds. :>)

Ha it did sunset but not in NY. I have a pre ban lower so it does not matter to me. But I would not worry about it lots of guys in NY use 20 and 30 round mags to shoot competion in 3 gun matches right allong side police officers. Lots of cops are gun guys and the law applies to them as well you would have to have done something wrong for the gov to push the issue on this.

In NY unless its pre 1994 you cant have
High capacity mags
collopsible or folding buttstocks
detachable muzzle devices
a barrel shorter than 16"
a suppressor
a full auto selector

Im sure theres more but thats the short list.

Good advice on the YouTube videos - they were very helpful. Any recommendations on bullets for this rig? It will most likely be used for small varmints. The barrel is an 8 twist. Do I need to use a crimp?

Thanks for the help.

No you dont need a crimp but it might shoot better crimped only way to tell it to do both.

If I were shooting factory there is no beating black hills, with a 1-8 I would start with the lighter stuff 35-55g range. All depends what your budget is I would love to use Barns bullets but I can afford them so I use serria and hornady.

Congratulations on your purchase. I suggest you get the 20 round mags - the 30's extend down to far if you plan to shoot off a bench. With mags you got to be careful what you buy there is a lot of junk out there. I have had good success with the ones DPMS sells. I also buy the colt's whenever I can find them. As far as bullets I like the Barnes varmit gernades for hunting. For general shooting or hunting sod poodles I like the Winchester 55 grain PSP's. Have also had the best success with Varget powder.

No you dont need a crimp but it might shoot better crimped only way to tell it to do both.

If I were shooting factory there is no beating black hills, with a 1-8 I would start with the lighter stuff 35-55g range. All depends what your budget is I would love to use Barns bullets but I can afford them so I use serria and hornady.

With an 8 twist I was leaning towards the heavier bullets rather than the lighter bullets, thinking 55-80gr. I'm not sure but I thought the various 77gr .224 bullets were designed for the AR platform. I wonder how they would perform on P-dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.