Black bear trail cam photos.......

Catahoula

Hey Guys,
Here are a few photos of a brown phase black bear. I think this is a nice bear. What do you all think?
Kirk

Attachments

• PICT0016.jpg
    PICT0016.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 166
  • PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 135
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 171
I'm not really good at guessing bear weights. Most folks think bears are heavier than they really are. He is in pretty good shape for a spring bear. I am going to say around 250 lbs. Do you agree?
Kirk

Without some frame of reference, it's tough to guess how much he might weigh. Although I am 6'2" and 200lbs, I think he's heavier than 250 as he seems much larger than me.

He'll go over 300 I bet. A friend of mine shot one that weighed 350lbs a few years ago and that bear looks to be close to his size.

I am going to agree with IdahoCTD on the size. 300 to 350 lbs. And probably closer to 350lbs live weight. I shot a 350lb black bear this past September from 30 yards in the Olympic Mtns of Washington. This bear looks to be of similar size, it's mature and worth hunting IMHO.

Thats a heck of a nice bear! Ive seen few that are larger, but never with that color. I'd be pulling the trigger on that one for sure.

Like the others I would say somewhere between 300-350 lbs.

I am pretty good at judging weight and I would have to say between 350 and 400 lbs. Taking into account the size of his head, legs, and low stomach!

Shoot first, ask questions later. That's a bruiser!
Bear huntin is one of my passions. Im hopelessly addicted to it. I don't get the bonus if being able to use bait or dogs, cause Oregon votes with the "left coast" & the other 90% of the state doesn't count. Spot & stock Spring bear presents way too much hassle where I hunt, & its a crap shoot at best. I'm jealous :D

I fall bear hunt when the wild plums are ripe, & huckle berries are almost gone. Great flavor in the meat, & coats are uniform & thickening up for winter.
Ive smoked quite a few bruins, but I tell you what,
If a bear that size was anywhere in the area I hunt, & I had a tag in my pockett, id be setting my sights on him. That's a dandy even being all rubbed off on the back end. I'm guessing 19 inches & about 340 ish lbs.
Now you gotta go shoot that big ol bugger so I can see if I'm rightgun)

Saw your blonde bear on your other thread. Good lookin critters. Congrats!! I'm real jealous now :D

Heck of a nice bear! He's a hog for sure.

Did you know there were bears in the area or did you just get lucky getting him on your trail cam?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.