Bits & Pieces

royinidaho

Thanks to an unsung hero on LRH I now know all about bits, pieces, shavings and a **** poor milling machine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The mailman brought a package from the South yesterday. Two of the pieces were of the exact dimensions for my project. After some setup time, around 3pm, continuous running of the milling machine until just after mid night (jeez now I gotta get a band saw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif AND something softer to stand on) I reduced the weight of the 2lb piece of aluminum to 1.2lbs (about 1/3 completed)

Learned that you can condition an end mill to cut alum w/o the material building up on the bit. (or at least I think I can)

Learned that the ol' milling machine is good for about a 3/8" end mill. 1/4" is optimum but ya can take light cuts w/the 3/8s and get along. The old girl was pretty warm to the touch by mid night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif She's a piece of work but she'll do for what I want.

Also learned that aluminum is heavier than I thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I may have to go to an exotic material /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JD, I owe ya!! Ya just gotta love the folks on LRH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'll post pics after the patent goes through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also I still have all my fingers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy one thing alot of folk do with a mill when they get started is run the cutter to fast , this makes the stock your cutting hot and the material soft then you get more buildup than normal. with a two flute 3/8" mill I'd run the rpm around 100 to start and adjust from their , you want your chips to be hot and the material cool , so you want to try differant feed rates , you can actualy cut a bit aster than most folks expect.
Alos get yourself some "best oil" or some other type of semi think cutting oil and keep you cutter coated.

Titanium is the only next lightest thing to Aluminum and its a pain in the pee-pee to machine with a good mill and coated carbide cutter.

NOTE : watch that fly cutter (the big black one) even though its small those things will rip you apart realy fast !! thats what you want to use for making the stock smaller you should be able to make .030" cutts with it pretty easy. And if you haven't sharpened many cutters the small ones are best left to a pro or just replaced , you'll end up with nasy burns on your fingers.

That stuff wasen't free , its gonna cost you a cut on that pattent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif jst kidding , maybe a break on the price at least

LMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So that's what that big black thing is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It looked like some kind of a boring tool to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Far'd it up this morning, ****, way cool. For what I'm doing that's about the only tool I need.

Watch out you smiffs, I'ma gainin' on ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This'll put ol bb and jimm to shame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Roy I have some blocks of machinable plastic, different types, derilin, nylon ect. I don't know if they would work for your project. e-mail me some dimmensions and if I have a block that will work, you can have er fer notin.
Jim

Probably need to send him one of these too.

southampton-remedi-terminator.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.