Bit of confusion with twisting turrets

dangaff

Hi all,

I have some confusion

I understand MOA, turning turrets left and right, etc

BUT:

What i don't get it is, if the drop chart says 17, but the turrets only have 10 full marks on it.
Do i turn a full turn then up to 7?

What if i've already zeroed my scope and its on 3, then what do i do?
Bit of maths involved or?

If any information, will be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

After you're zeroed loosen the set screw on the turret and set both elevation and windage turrets to zero. And yes, 17 minutes wouls be one full rotation of 10 and another 7/10 of a rotation, stopping at 7.

After you're zeroed loosen the set screw on the turret and set both elevation and windage turrets to zero. And yes, 17 minutes wouls be one full rotation of 10 and another 7/10 of a rotation, stopping at 7.
Ah, i see

That helps

I'll be getting a NF with zero stop too :)

So basically just turn full rotations (if needed) then whatever's left.
I'll test the drop charts at the range too anyway

Another way to do it so that you don't lose the number of turns you've made on the turret is to use the baselines. Those are the lines that are visible when you make complete rotations of the turret...one line per rotation. So if you have your scope turret zeroed and have three baselines visible (only an example, yours may be different) and needed +17moa to engage a target. You would go to baseline four (one turn up from example) + 7moa and that would be your 17moa with your scope that has 10moa per revolution. Then to go back to your original zero (from any added adjustment) all you need to do is turn the elevation knob to where you are back on "0" with the correct number of lines.
Example of a drop chart could look like this:
zero= BL3
200 = BL3+4
300 = BL4+2
400 = BL5+6

Some scopes, however, don't have base lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.