Bipod Techinque

philny1

Been taking my shots of my pack. Til now talking 500-600yds and one bull at 700yds plus. Normally I can lock up pretty solid, last fall due to the terrain my rest left quite abit to be desired. Never been a big fan of bipods, other than varmint hunting. Just read a post advising a inexperienced LRH like myself to research bipod technique. Would be interested in any info on this subject.

Bearless I use a Harris with a firm hold I load the bipod, Push forward into the pod to take up tension. PRACTICE / CONSISTENCY
Go to www.6mmbr.com look up article bugholes from a bipod by froggy

Bearless, I'm pleased you asked the question. I've shot my .300 WM off a bipod a bit and groups weren't (too) bad, but I bounced all over making follow through difficult and I'd settle way off where I was aiming, making seeing hits impossible.

I read the "Bugholes from Bipods" (I think it was) by Froggy, and there are a few tips - firm hold and pre-loading the legs, but that from what I saw about sums it up. Which is what Rimfire said.

I'd also like any other tips.

WL

Thanks guys. Weather brakes, I'll put in some practice time. I basically use that hard hold method shooting off my pack. Although sometimes I'll do a reach around, depending on the terrain.
Had a pretty good system hunting those sage covered slopes in WY. Went to CO last fall and hunted oak brush for the first time.

and how did the oak brush treat ya????? I hate that Dam stuff but it seams that where the elk like to hide, so every year I find myself right in the midde of the thickest patch on the steepest part of the hill LMAO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yea, you're right that where the elk were. Finally found myself a hole in that damm stuff that I could shoot outta. Filled my cow and bull tags. Booked to go back this Oct.

its a small world thats the 2 that I hunt, 71 Groundhog lake, & Taylor Mesa and 711 Glade Mtn and below mcPhee dam. saw alot of elk last fall, had alot of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thats pretty funny!

I've hunted 711 for the past tens years. I started going there with my dad at age 12! I've been able to get an elk every year save for one year.

Where in Colorado do you live?

on most ground it seems to help a little bit to slid your bipod back and forth on the ground a little bit to kind of set it before taking the shot, you almost dig it in the ground, of course this depends on the surface you are shooting from. Other then that I think Froggy has it covered! man it sounds like that guy can shoot!

Jeremy VanSchoonhoven

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.