Bipod Question

Mr.Moa

What size bipod do you take for big game hunting. i want to shoot prone with a rear bag should i use a 6-9 inch or 9-13 inch bipod

6-9 will keep you down on the bag. When I use my 9-13, I have to be up on my elbows and hold the buttstock up to get on target. Much more stable to be down on the bag. The high postition is useful if the terrain or grass is high, but if you can stay down, it is much more stable.

I started off using the 9-13 but found I had to use more bag in the rear. I use the 6-9 most of the time now. The terrain you are hunting in will also be a determining factor.

Gordon

You also have to think about your physical ability as well. Take me for example, I have spent way to many years being hard are my body and for me the 9 inch bipod is to short. My neck wont bend that far back comfortably and I also wear glasses so my face has to stay fairly square to my scope. Bag pressure is easily fixed by having or making a bag that is rectangular. That way you have three height options. I made mine and I can range from 1 1/2" - 6" which lets me be up on my elbows more so I dont have to bend my head back so far. Just something to consider.

Good luck and good shooting, Jason

Also well worth noting that often vegetation or other intervening obstacles can make a low prone shot impossible. Be prepared to get up over the obstacles from a sitting or kneeling position, or perish the thought... even standing.

I've seen guys so addicted to shooting from their bipods, they were unable to cope effectively in the field when the 'pod was useless.

Regards, Guy

Your size has alot to do with it also, my brother inlaw is 6-6'', his stuff is XL.

As was stated previously there are a lot of variables to recommend a specific length. At least my wife bought that when I told her I needed several! I have found the 13 12"-27" three piece very convenient to get up over the vegetation but for extended ranges I must use a downhill slope to get low enough on the prone. I have all the lengths and pop on the one I think will benefit me the most for the location and have been known to throw a different one in the pack if I am carrying. The only thing you know for sure is you just never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.