Bipod or shooting sticks?

I use bipods out west and shooting sticks here in WI.
I've used Harris and will be trying a pair of Rock Creek bipods this year.
Shooting sticks are ones made by a guy from Specialty pistols using wood dowels.

All my guns have a Harris swivel 6-9" bipod w/leg notches and w/PodLoc on them. I also take along either a Stoney Point bipod or tripod w/trailer arm. There are just times when the bipod is too short. If I know the terrain dictates that the 6-9" is too short then a 9-13" version of the same model goes on.

I use shooting sticks maybe 5% of the time.
Rest of the time is Harris Bi-pod BR version with notched legs and pod-lok or the next size up Harris bi-pod.

I use the 30" snipepod shooting sticks. Where I do most my big game hunting is very steep and it can be hard to find a spot to use bipods. The snipepods can be folded up to be used as a bipod if I find a spot to shoot in the prone position, and they are very light! Heres a link if anybody is interested.

www.snipepod.com

I use the 30" snipepod shooting sticks. Where I do most my big game hunting is very steep and it can be hard to find a spot to use bipods. The snipepods can be folded up to be used as a bipod if I find a spot to shoot in the prone position, and they are very light! Heres a link if anybody is interested.

www.snipepod.com

300SAUM,

Do these flex at all?

I would prefer shooting sticks and like those that fold out quick and silently but those I have used have flexed and do not offer stability. With gusty winds the sticks I have used added little value and I would have rather had a bipod.

Anyone want to vouch for a set of sticks that has no flex or bounce and can be used in less than ideal conditions successfully?

They have very little flex, but it would depend on the weight of the gun, as the heaviest one I have is 12lbs. Folded to shoot in the prone position there is none. These are the most versatile sticks I have ever used bar none.

I use Harris bipods I have 2 sets of 6"-9" swiveling with the "T-Nuts" podlock (one with leg notches, one with cam lock on legs), 1 set of 9"- 13" solid, and 1 set of 13"- 27" swiveling with T-Nuts pod lock. My dad also has a set of shooting sticks that we seem to pack around alot but have not used yet. The 6"-9" bipods with leg notches are my favorite.

I've used Harris and will be trying a pair of Rock Creek bipods this year.

In my own opinion Yotefever you will most likely be dissapointed by the Rock Creek bipods, the springs are "softer" than the springs on the Harris bipods, and becuse of that they do not provide a great/ solid platform to shoot from. Hving used both, I would say do yourself a favor and just stick with the Harris, here in Alberta they are the same price anyway.

Both. Harris S series pods with the extra gismo that cranks down the swivel to keep if from swiveling (my unbraked 300RUM causes it to swivel quite a bit at the shot anyway) and Stoney Point Steady Stix or Shooting Stix...can't 'member for sure what their called.

I have 2 sets of Harris, the medium and tallest models, like them, but......
Also have a set of homemade pvc, about 32" long with a bolt thru them about 3"down, I like these alot but it's something exta to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.