bipod and redoing load development

You may find that the weight of the barrel is causing the fore-end to contact the barrel whereby changing the POI, especially if you used a BR and had it back further on the stock where it's thicker.

You may find that the weight of the barrel is causing the fore-end to contact the barrel whereby changing the POI, especially if you used a BR and had it back further on the stock where it's thicker.

Makes sense, alothough I have not had to redo a load because of it, I have noticed how much flex there is in a Browning Stalker stock it would be very esy to have the sock touch the barrel when using a bipod

In some heavy recoiling rifles I have seen a difference in point of impact when compared to shooting off a sandbag. Group size was the same.

In light recoiling rifles I do not seem to see a similar shift in impact.

Just what I've noticed with a few of my rifles. You mileage may vary.

In some heavy recoiling rifles I have seen a difference in point of impact when compared to shooting off a sandbag.

Have you noticed if the springs on the bipod were shifting when you were shooting the heavier recoilin rifles? I had a set of Shoters Ridge 6"-9" swiveling bipods, the springs were quite soft and seemed like they wanted to fold up when I shot, even when I leaned into them before the shot.

Just an idea or question

what rifle, what cal.?

if you develop your handloads from a bench then change shooting politions/style, its no fault of your handloads. I would go back and try shooting from the position you originally developed your loads with to rule out any abnormalities if you are worried about it - But, it is normal to loose poi when you change. Try shooting prone, kneeling or standing same thing will happen .

...my point is you should never expect to see the same accuracy from a bench that you would from prone, kneeling, standing or even a bipod.. your rifle vibrates/reacts diffently from different positions .that is why its important to practice from all positions with that same load. Unless you're a world class champion rifleman, your poi will change, sometimes more sometimes less, it depends on the shooter's ability. happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.