bipod and redoing load development

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by foreign, Sep 16, 2008.

1. foreign

foreign Well-Known Member

has anyone found that after putting a bipod on a rifle they had to re do their load development for any reason.

2. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

You may find that the weight of the barrel is causing the fore-end to contact the barrel whereby changing the POI, especially if you used a BR and had it back further on the stock where it's thicker.

3. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Makes sense, alothough I have not had to redo a load because of it, I have noticed how much flex there is in a Browning Stalker stock it would be very esy to have the sock touch the barrel when using a bipod

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

In some heavy recoiling rifles I have seen a difference in point of impact when compared to shooting off a sandbag. Group size was the same.

In light recoiling rifles I do not seem to see a similar shift in impact.

Just what I've noticed with a few of my rifles. You mileage may vary.

5. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

Have you noticed if the springs on the bipod were shifting when you were shooting the heavier recoilin rifles? I had a set of Shoters Ridge 6"-9" swiveling bipods, the springs were quite soft and seemed like they wanted to fold up when I shot, even when I leaned into them before the shot.

Just an idea or question

6. lever-hed

lever-hed Well-Known Member

what rifle, what cal.?

if you develop your handloads from a bench then change shooting politions/style, its no fault of your handloads. I would go back and try shooting from the position you originally developed your loads with to rule out any abnormalities if you are worried about it - But, it is normal to loose poi when you change. Try shooting prone, kneeling or standing same thing will happen .

7. lever-hed

lever-hed Well-Known Member

...my point is you should never expect to see the same accuracy from a bench that you would from prone, kneeling, standing or even a bipod.. your rifle vibrates/reacts diffently from different positions .that is why its important to practice from all positions with that same load. Unless you're a world class champion rifleman, your poi will change, sometimes more sometimes less, it depends on the shooter's ability. happy hunting.